Thursday, July 18, 2019

Easy Shredded Chicken Barbecue!

This is a quick fix with a slow-cooker so not really "quick" but easy!

Use three big boneless chicken breasts...

Clean off any fat or grizzly stuff. You know what I mean!

Cut in half or thirds....

Put in pot of slow cooker.



For the sauce:

1 cup barbecue sauce (your favorite!)
1/4 cup Italian dressing
1/4 cup brown sugar
1-2 tablespoons soy sauce

Pour all of this over chicken.



Cover.

Cook on high for 4 hours.

Sauce makes itself.... chicken is fork tender and can be shredded for sliders or sandwiches or served over rice.

SO GOOD AND EASY!

We make a huge pot of this for Farmer Dave's family reunion every year now, and it's always a popular dish.... a little shift from hot dogs and hamburgers (which I am fussy about, I will admit) so this is a perfect side-dish/main dish for folks like me who like their burgers medium rare...

And their hot dogs uncharred.

I am not a "char" person.

I do not like burnt toast. I don't even like scraped burnt toast... it's just not friendly to me.

So I clearly have anti-char genes. I am okay with that.

And Mandy found me a used SMOKER at a garage sale, and I am so excited! I can't even tell you how excited because I'm going to have so much fun with that!

Unlike the Instant Pot that I have used exactly once.

What was I thinking???? But that's a blog for another day, friends!

And we hurried supper because grandgirlie had a soccer game and I forgot to snag a picture of the delicious pulled chicken on fresh potato buns....

It was marvelous!

We got rain yesterday. Blessed rain. It's funny how rain in May and June, never-ending, was not one bit blessed...

Yesterday's was perfect.

And then overcast so that the plants had time to get a good drink!

That's it from the farm where golf-ball sized pumpkins are appearing on plants!!!!

That's always an amazing thing to see!

Multi-published inspirational author Ruth Logan Herne is currently watering a lot of mums because she does not own a mum watering system, but she does own a lot of plastic buckets which hold water, so that's almost as cool, right?

You can follow her on Twitter where she's constantly amazed by the things people say in public... or friend her on facebook.... stop by her website ruthloganherne.com or email her at loganherne@gmail.com. She loves to hear from folks, my friends! 


17 comments:

  1. Can't go wrong with bbq chicken! You will find time for that instant pot one day! Not going to lie I just completed my collection of the 3 sizes. Yay for a smoker!! Is it electric? If you like salmon let me know and I'll send you a good recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is electric! It's a Masterbuilt and I'm so excited to play with it, Katie! And you have 3 Instant Pots???? I am going to take lessons from you, girlfriend!!!!!

      Delete
    2. Wow, Katie! Three Instant Pots? I've barely used my one. Like Ruthy said, I need lessons.

      Delete
    3. I just got the 2 this week. Target was having a big sale! I have been wanting a second because my 8qt is great, but sometimes When I'm making yogurt I would like to use my pot for something else. Our kitchen gets so hot I don't want to turn on the stove or oven either. We are getting creative and putting our table in storage and buying a set of cabinets that actually has a sink option and putting a cheap counter top on it and putting that unattached in our rental house we are in. It will be unfinished and when Jacob finally has a place to have a work bench it will become that! Win win for both of us! Ruthy we have the same brand. One word. BACON

      Delete
    4. Google how to make smoked Bacon. We made some and Jan cooked it for I think Christmas breakfast and it was so good! I am trying more soon. Just need to take the time to cure the pork I got. Trying it with pork butt this time!

      Delete
  2. I love this, Ruthy. I love most things that can be tossed in a crockpot in the morning and then are ready to eat when I am. So long as their good, anyway. Crockpots are our friends.

    And you got a Masterbuilt smoker? Yay, Ruthy! I love mine. Sometimes it even serves as an extra oven to keep things warm. But you will have all kinds of fun playing with that. Are the wood chips as easy to find year-round up there as they are here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy I put ours to work this weekend! Starting Friday night until Sat evening it was going to be ready for a week 15 party after my husband and his class took their final written test. I'm officially married to a conductor!!

      Delete
    2. Katie, congrats to your hubby!! I assumed he passed but never got on FB to find out for sure. So happy for y'all!

      Delete
    3. I saw Jacob's announcement and party last week! SMOKER party, no oven, LOL! I love that he's a conductor. That's sooooo cool!!!!!

      Delete
  3. I feel like a foreigner around here today. No Instant Pot. No smoker. But I'm taking research notes. :)

    Rutjy, if you come back, I'm curious about the mix of Italian dressing with the BBQ sauce. What's the reason for that? How does it impact taste?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, one recipe called for straight vinegar but the one Lacey found us two years ago was Italian dressing, and Cate, it was marvelous. Really good. You would never know the Italian dressing was in there... but I bet you could just use vinegar, too.... and it would only be slightly different.

      Delete
  4. Ruthy, this sounds amazing! Just remember if you are in a hurry and want to eat this, you could make it in your IP using even frozen chicken breasts very quickly. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's a funny story. Amanda borrowed my Instant Pot to make this for a grad party a few weeks ago.... and they doubled the recipe... and used hers and mine...

      BURN!

      So they did it again.

      BURN!!!!!

      Now they had like a few hours to get the chicken done for a party of like seventy people....

      And went to the Slow cookers.... something about doubling the recipe and using the IP wasn't working.

      For this weekend I'm making a humongous kettle of it for the Eichas family reunion and that's going into the 18qt. Roaster Oven... I can do it on the porch and watch it, and control temps.

      That's the problem with lock-down cookers, you can mess things up if you improvise at all and I'm an improv girl... but I will practice with it this year. I am determined!

      Delete
    2. Once you get the hang of it you can change it up. Some stuff you can't stir before cooking and it might need some kind of broth. Don't use it to replace your slow cooker though. Soups to me are just better in the slow cooker. I miss my 7qt and the 4qt I bought just isn't the same.

      Delete
  5. A nice option for any of these is you can plug it in on the porch and not heat up your kitchen (if your grandchildren and their pets are acceptably responsible). We've used our rice steamer, an electric fry pan and the crock pot to cook outside for family events. (those of us without proper A/C have to think of such things!)

    ReplyDelete