Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Nachos - A Quick Meal or a Hearty Snack

It's been a crazy few weeks for me. Trying to finish up a proposal for a new series so I can get it submitted before I head off to RWA, and then getting ready to travel to New York for the conference. So quick and easy meals have definitely been my go-to and this is one of my favorites. Now, granted, if you don't have air conditioning and it's hot, you probably don't want to turn on your oven, however, you could do these on the grill, too. Or the dashboard of a hot car if the sun. And I'm not even kidding on that one.

So the first thing you do is look in the refrigerator to see what kind of leftover meat you have lurking. I scored this night because I had both steak and chicken.
So now we're talking supreme nachos.

Line a large sheet pan with foil, parchment paper or a silicone mat to make cleanup easier. Then spread a layer of your favorite tortilla chips.
Top with a thin layer of grated cheese. Use whatever type you like. My favorite is a mixture of sharp cheddar and Monterey jack. Though occasionally I will add some pepper jack.

Now add your meat and a final layer of cheese.
I try to make sure there's some meat in every bite.
Bake in a 375 degree oven for 10 minutes, or just until it starts to turn golden. Serve with salsa, sour cream, jalapenos, or guacamole. 

Sorry, we were hungry, so I forgot to take a picture of the baked nachos. But you can take my word for it that these are really good.

Do you remember the orphaned twin fawns I told you all about a few weeks ago? Well, they have made their way around to the back of our house and they are regulars now. 
I like to imagine the doe in this picture has adopted them, but I don't think that's the case. Note the three fawns on the left.

And here the twins are by themselves. They're so cute.
I feel like they need names. I don't know if they're male or female, though. Then again, Bambi was a boy and yet Bambi is a girls name. That has always baffled me. So what do you think? Any ideas for naming these two?


Three time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she's not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more a mindyobenhaus.com.




7 comments:

  1. These nachos look so quick and easy! I've never thought of baking them, but this will have to be a quick supper sometime soon. :-)

    Naming the fawns... You could do what my father-in-law did with their milk cows and steers: every one of them was named Herman. Except for the biggest cow - she was Moolah.

    So Moolah and Herman? Hmm. Those names aren't very deer-ish.

    Have fun at the RWA conference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I'm not sure Moolah is a good name for a deer. However, those are a couple of great cow names!

      Delete
  2. Mindy, you've made me crave nachos! I usually just microwave them with cheese on them. But with meat, I think baking would be the way to go! I'm getting a rotisserie chicken today so may make nachos out of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, I think they taste better, are crispier, when they're done in the oven. And it doesn't take that much longer.

      Delete
  3. I made something very similar for dinner tonight, Mindy. I used blue corn taco shells instead, mixed chicken and cheese and threw in some tomatoes. Very delicious - as I'm sure yours is.
    See you soon!

    ReplyDelete