Friday, July 26, 2019

Chili in July?!

Missy Tippens

My daughter and I worked at Starbucks yesterday and didn't get home until after 5 pm. We had a pack of chicken breasts and needed to make something quickly (and felt too tired to work very hard on it). I wanted to do my favorite, quick and easy chicken parmesan. However, my daughter has gotten burned out on it since I make it so often.

So then it hit me... it's hot out, but I think I sure would enjoy my favorite white chicken chili made in the Instant Pot. I've shared it here before so thought I would post it again. I was surprised how much I could enjoy it on a Georgia summer day! It never goes out of style. :) So, drum roll... here's a winter favorite in July! (a re-post of my fall 2018 recipe).





I was on a retreat this past weekend (will share photos from that soon) and they shared this recipe. I decided to make it last night.

Go here to find the recipe (at Natasha's Kitchen blog).

Of course I had modify it. I didn't have all the ingredients. (Surprise!! LOL) I know, I know. I never seem prepared for cooking. I guess it's a personality flaw. :)




I put in two large, mostly-frozen chicken breasts. Then I topped with the black beans, white beans, canned corn, green chilis (because I realized the can of Rotel had expired in 2017!), a can of diced roasted tomatoes, spices (because I didn't have the Ranch dressing mix), And some water with chicken seasoning (because I didn't have chicken broth and decided not to use the vegetable broth). And then I put the chunks of cream cheese on top--using fat-free to fit better in my Weight Watcher's points (with a little fear that it wouldn't be as good).

I forgot to take a photo! But it looked so tasty with all the bright colors of corn and tomatoes and beans.

I put it on high for 23 minutes (recipe calls for 20 but I assumed that was for thawed chicken breasts). I used natural release--well, planned to. I admit I was impatient and put a dish towel over the valve and released it after about 10 minutes.




I shredded the chicken, put it back in the pot and served. Some of you may need to close your eyes, but I also sprinkled on some dried cilantro. :) Using regular cream cheese would have made it creamier, but it was still excellent.




It was yummy and perfect for a cool rainy day!

www.missytippens.com

4 comments:

  1. I make chili lots -- regardless of the season. It's comfort food in the winter and because I make it in a slow cooker it doesn't heat up the kitchen in the summer. And perfect with a delicious fresh picked salad. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, that's so true about it not heating up the kitchen! Although, I did burn myself a little with the steam by getting impatient and releasing it a little too soon. ;)

      Delete
  2. Chili in July? Of course! And the Instant Pot is perfect for a summer kitchen.

    I don't know if you remember, but I killed my Instant Pot a few months ago. :-( (Always, always check the seal!) But Katie and Jacob got a new one for me for my birthday. Since we're in transition, I've only used it once so far. But we'll be house sitting for the next two weeks and I plan to use it often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I had forgotten about that!! Did the seal break? How did it hurt your IP? I took my seal off the clean it and then hubby just tucked it in the cabinet with the pot. When I took it out a good while later, I couldn't remember exactly how to put it on!! LOL I was hoping it was working right yesterday. Didn't know it could be risky to the IP not to have it on right!

      Delete