Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Ranch Fun on the Fourth

It was a steamy, star-spangled Independence Day here at the ranch.
The kind that had the kiddos heading for the water.
Uh, oh. Sister could be in for some big trouble.
One of my granddaughter's favorite things is jalapeno poppers, so I made sure to rustle up some of those.
I stuffed the halved jalapenos with a mixture of cream cheese and shredded sharp cheddar. Then wrapped them in half a bacon slice, secured that with a toothpick, and baked them at 275 degrees for about 45 minutes.

After the sun set, it was time for fireworks over the lake.
The kids, both big and small, made a run to the fireworks stand earlier in the day. Once it was dark, the big kids treated us to a spectacular show. A fitting ending for a wonderful day.

Oh, but something else happened last week.

Remember this? 
The Carolina wrens that were displaced after one of your trees toppled in a storm last month decided to build their new nest in a bucket we'd left sitting outside our dining room window.

Well, last week, the eggs hatched. 
There are five babies in all, though you can only see three here. Three VERY hungry little ones awaiting mama and daddy's return. I love that we have a front row seat for this. Almost as much as I love a happy ending.

The dog days of summer have settled over the ranch. Hot, lazy days. The kind that make you want to stay in the air conditioning and write. For those of you who live up north, this is like your January, when you stay inside to escape the cold. Like I said, it's a trade off. You get snow, we get heat. 

What's going on in your neck of the woods?

Three time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she's not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more a mindyobenhaus.com.

11 comments:

  1. I love the Texas shaped cookies! There's nothing like the 4th in Texas!

    Our holiday was low-key. Both hubby and I worked, then went to our daughter's place to celebrate her birthday and watch fireworks. We had a great time, even though the fireworks got rained out. (They had them the next night!)

    And those jalapeno poppers look so delicious and easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't those cookies fun, Jan? A friend recently gave me that Texas-shaped cookie cutter and I couldn't wait to use it.

      Fourth of July is a double celebration at your house. Must be cool to have fireworks on your birthday. One of my grandsons is a firecracker baby. When they're little, you can get away with telling them that the fireworks are because it's their birthday.

      Delete
  2. Your Fourth looks like tons of fun! And those cookies and goodies--wow! My hat is off to you, my friend--I am seriously impressed.
    Marking it down in my planner now--go hang out with Mindy next Fourth of July!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, don't get too impressed. They were easy. Time-consuming, but easy. Not to mention yummy. And you know the main reason I make them is because I like to eat them. BTW, I've got you down for next year. Don't stand me up now, you hear?

      Delete
  3. Oh, Mindy, this looks like so much fun. I want some of those delicious looking cookies!

    We have those kind of hot days up here, too I'm sure it's not AS hot, but the city traps it so that you want to stay in that AC - except it's only in the bedroom. Talk about a writer's cave.

    I got to watch the Macy's fireworks out my back window. That was cool.

    Love your little birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Cate, when you get the heat radiating off of all that city concrete, it's like a heat island. So to the writing cave it is. I bet your fireworks were spectacular. I mean, if they're even half as good as the Macy's parade, they're bound to be amazing.

      Delete
  4. Mindy, you spoil your family with amazing foods and celebrations! What fun. I agree with Laurel. We should travel to the ranch next year!

    So, if you scrape out all the seeds, how spicy are those poppers? I'm kind of a wimp. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, spoiling them is part of my ploy to endear myself to them so that when the time comes, they'll be eager to take care of me.

      Yes, scrape out the seeds and the ribs inside. Also, when I'm buying them, I try to get the ones that aren't as deep a green. My theory is that the deeper green they are, the longer they've had to ripen, therefore they're likely hotter. Don't know if it's true or not, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Also, the cheese filling helps with the heat, too.

      So I've added you to the list with Laurel. Since you both live in Georgia, a road trip might just be in order!

      Delete
  5. I laughed out loud at the picture of the hungry baby birds. What an amazing shot! Did mama bird dive bomb when you took it? Love how they adapted to the necessity of moving house.

    And those patriotic cookies -- tell me the truth -- does the blue icing turn your tongue and lips and teeth blue too? I'm always wary of strong icing colours. They look good enough to eat though. :-)

    We're in the middle of a heat wave as well. Temps getting up between 90 and 100 with the humidex. Yuck. I'm still managing to garden a bit each day though which is a big difference from years past so that's super exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, mama was either deeper in the nest or off getting food, so I came away intact. Of course, I also zoomed in, so as not to irritate mama.

      No, in this instance, the blue and red icing did not color anyone's tongues. I think it's most the really deep reds and blues/purples that will do that. And the ever popular black.

      I'm so glad you're able to be in the garden again, Kav. I know you love gardening. Do your temps cool off at night?

      Delete
    2. I think there's a crow's nest in my neighbour's garden. The racket this year -- oy -- melodious they are not. It's like they're born with that snippy attitude. lol

      Yes, the temps do go down at night and are bearable with a fan. It's a real treat when it gets cool enough to turn off the fan. But there's no snow in my garden so I'm not complaining...well...not really.

      Delete