Friday, July 12, 2019

Fettuccine Alfredo with... Oat Milk?

Missy Tippens

The other night, I decided to make something quick that I often make when the cupboard is bare. So I grabbed a box of noodles, a stick of butter and a couple of bags of shredded parmesan. But...

No half-and-half. No heavy cream. NO PLAIN ALMOND MILK EITHER?? Only vanilla? Ick.

The noodles were already boiling, and I didn't have anything else to make to go with them, so I hollered at my daughter and asked if she thought using her oat milk would be too weird. She said it didn't have much oat flavor, so I decided to go for it.



The recipe I usually use, I've shared before (click here). You basically cook the noodles, add butter and half-and-half, stir, and then add in the shredded parm. But I had this strange milk, which wouldn't be nearly as creamy and rich to make that sauce.

So I decided to make a béchamel sauce.

I made a basic roux with 3 TBS butter and 3 TBS flour...




I cooked the roux for a two or three minutes to cook out the floury taste. Then I stirred in the oat milk (and crossed my fingers).


I let that simmer briefly. Next I stirred in the cheese. I usually buy shredded, but this was something new I decided to try. Shaved parm.


Once it was all melted, I added more cheese until I thought it was cheesy enough. But then it had thickened a good bit. So I added a little pasta water until it seemed a good consistency. I seasoned it with some salt, pepper and freshly grated nutmeg (be careful and don't overdo it!). It was ready!



I put the pasta noodles into the saucepan and tossed with tongs until well coated. Then we served it.

It turned out just fine! And I couldn't taste the oats at all. A little extra parm on top added the perfect salty touch!


Yes, that's garlic toast made with my second batch of sourdough bread! I sliced, sprayed with olive oil (from a mister), shook on some garlic salt, then broiled it.

A wonderful, quick, easy meal! Just add a salad or side vegetable for a little color (and nutrition--ha!). :)


11 comments:

  1. Using the oat milk and making a bechamel sauce with it was inspiration! As I was reading, my first thought was that the oat milk wouldn't be thick enough...wouldn't add that creamy texture we all long for! But you did it!

    And the sourdough bread...I can hardly wait to get settled again so I can start baking again. We'll be far enough from town that homemade bread will be a must (and a joy for my husband!) It's an incentive to keep a sourdough starter going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I find the bread making very relaxing. And my husband is gaga over it! He posted about it on FB--his first post ever in like 5 years. LOL Apparently, I impressed him. :)

      Delete
  2. I have heard of oat milk, but was sceptical. Now we might try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, my daughter loves it! She especially likes it in her coffee and on cereal.

      Delete
  3. The freshly grated nutmeg is an interesting twist! And I'm intrigued by the oat milk too. I don't think I've seen it here...at least not in the grocery store but I bet I could find it at a health food store. My daughter is allergic to milk and nuts so finding an alternative is tricky. She uses rice milk but it honestly isn't a great substitute in most recipes. Must try the oat milk. Bet it would be great in a pancake batter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, we've seen it at all our regular grocery stores (Kroger and Publix). There are a few different brands. I hope you find it up there in Canada! I think, if you like oats, you'll like it.

      Delete
  4. Honestly, my first thought was, "What do you mean you didn't have any half and half or heavy cream?" LOL! Those are pretty much staples here at the ranch. Alfredo is our youngest son's favorite, so I always make sure I have the ingredients on hand.

    I think it's cool that you improvised, though. And even better that it turned out so good. I've not seen the oat milk, but then I haven't looked either. They sure have a lot of different "milks" now, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Mindy! I usually do keep light half-and-half in the refrigerator. But it does often expire. I just don't use it enough. However, we're having friends over tomorrow, and I went and bought the real thing for them. Real, full-fat half-and-half. :)

      Delete
  5. Looks like a winner, Missy! I have a daughter who would cheerfully live off noodles, and I love to have quick emergency recipes--so this is definitely going into my file! And big kudos to you for being able to improvise and produce deliciousness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, my middle son used to live off noodles with butter. He didn't like tomato sauce for a while, so when the family ate spaghehtti, he would have his plain noodles. I'm so thankful he outgrew that stage! He now makes spaghetti all the time! :)

      Delete
    2. That's so funny--my daughter makes spaghetti too--it's her all time favorite meal!

      Delete