Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Chocolate Cupcakes So Good, the Frosting is Optional

Yep, you read that right. A cupcake so moist, so delicious, that you might not even want frosting. I stumbled onto this recipe several years ago when two of my kids and I were craving cupcakes. You know, the fancy kind they make on TV. An internet search led us to this recipe that had a chocolate ganache coating and a marshmallow frosting. Except we ended up loving the cake so much, that nowadays it's referred to as "those chocolate cupcakes that don't need frosting."

One of the other things I really like about this recipe is that while it is made from scratch, it's still has the nice, fluffy texture of a good box mix. There's nothing dense about this cake.

Here's what you'll need to make them:
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 1 cup half and half
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup boiling water
By the way, this recipe came from www.thefoodnetwork.com/cupcakewars.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two regular size cupcake pans with liners.

In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, combine the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the eggs, half-and-half, oil, and vanilla and beat on medium speed for two minutes. Stir in the boiling water until fully combined. (FYI, batter will be thin)

Fill the cupcake liners three-quarters full with batter and bake until the cupcakes spring back when touched with your finger, 10-15 minutes. Let cool in the pans for a few minutes, and then removed to a wire rack to cool completely.

These were from my oldest son's birthday this past weekend. They are his all-time favorite cupcakes.
So last week I told you about the baby birds that had hatched in the bucket outside of our dining room window.
This picture was taken the day after my post. Would you believe that when I went to check on them the next morning, they were gone? Hatched, grown, feathered and gone all in ten days or less. Nature is truly amazing.

And since we're in the dog days of summer, I just can't help but share a gratuitous grandbaby picture to brighten your day.
Don't you wish you could rock pink sunglasses like that?

Well, I'm gearing up for RWA next week, but first I have a proposal to finish up. Then I'm New York City bound and praying there won't be another blackout.

What exciting, or mundane, things are going on in your world?

Three time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she's not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more a mindyobenhaus.com.


21 comments:

  1. Oh, I must try these.... It's almost like a Texas Sheet Cake recipe ratio, isn't it, Mindy? It sounds wonderful!!!!

    And I am home on the farm next week... but I'll wave from Western NY and you can wave back from the Harlequin party!!!! :)

    I am making time for the Christy Award conference in November and the gala... Total GIRL, I bought a killer outfit that I love while in Nashville last year for the Christy's and it has GLITTER. :) So of course it's total holiday friendly. A girl must have a little glitter here or there, right?

    So you have fun next week, I hope it's wonderful. And I will water mums and think of all of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, we need photos of you in glitter! Don't forget to take some selfies!

      Delete
    2. Ruthy, this recipe does remind me a little of the sheet cake recipe, but there's no buttermilk and the texture is different. You will love these.

      I wish we could party together, but I'll be waving in your direction. Yes, a glitter is a must-have on occasion. And Missy is right, we need photos of you in glitter.

      Delete
  2. Mindy, these sound so good! I'm a total cake person and usually scrape off most of the icing. So this is right up my alley. :)

    What an adorable granddaughter photo!! I love that little pigtail. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, you will love these cupcakes. And I love those little curls she has at the back. Makes for the cutest little pigtails.

      Delete
  3. I could use one of those cupcakes about now - even if it isn't even 10 yet.:)

    I know I told some of you about the animal that ate through the side vent of the air conditioner (and which probably means it was in my house - *eeek/scream/shudder, etc.*). When we pulled the AC out, there was a HUGE nest like that built into it, under it, around it. My daughter used to says he could hear the birds really loud in her room. !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ACK! So it's been there a while!! Well, at least you know now and can get the spot repaired.

      Delete
    2. Oh, my word, Mary Cate! Good thing you got that unit out of there. After all that, you deserve two cupcakes. Looking forward to seeing you next week.

      Delete
    3. Missy, I still don't know what ate through it. I doubt the birds did that. I'm thinking squirrel.

      Delete
  4. Oh -- she can definitely rock those pink sunglasses! Don't think I'd fare as well.

    Can't believe those baby birds are out of the nest already! I don't feel as sorry for the mother bird now that I know she was only run off her feet...er wings...for days instead of weeks. lol

    A chocolate cupcake that doesn't need frosting???? I've got to try these! BUT -- I have basic baking questions. Could I replace the canola oil with another kind of oil? Like olive oil? Or melted butter? I never use anything else...well, my cakes are all with softened butter, not melted or oil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, I don't know about olive oil, but you could try butter. The main difference would be that they would be firmer if refrigerated. Vegetable or coconut oil would work, too.

      Delete
    2. Mindy and Kav, I've used the light olive oil in baking and it works really well.

      And I missed commenting on the pink cutie. How absolutely adorable is she!

      Delete
    3. Thanks for answering that, Mary Cate. I've always been afraid olive oil would compromise the flavor, so I've never used it. Good to know.

      Delete
    4. Let me rephrase that, I've always been afraid olive oil would compromise the flavor in baked goods.

      Delete
    5. I vote for coconut oil. It adds the BEST texture to baked goods!

      Delete
    6. Jan, I usually use coconut oil. I love it in baked goods. Guess I got lazy this time.

      Delete
    7. OOohhhh -- coconut oil -- why didn't I think of that? Thanks!

      Delete
    8. Kav, it looks like you and I both had a face-palm moment.

      Delete
  5. Now I'm hungry for cupcakes! And I NEED chocolate!

    You know that phenomenon when you don't want something until you can't have it? I'm living it. With everything packed up, there's no tea (I miss my Earl Grey!) No baking. No chocolate. No snacks!

    I'll just have to make do for a few weeks. Meanwhile, I'll enjoy the virtual cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, did you forget to pack the "Things I might need" box? Always a very important part of moving. Because there are something you need for survival.

      Delete