Tuesday, July 2, 2019

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Yes, life on the ranch is nothing if not a potpourri of the best, and worse, nature has to offer.
I love looking out my window to see deer grazing just beyond the fence.
Remember the two pregnant does I shared a few months back? Well, one of the mamas finally decided to give us glimpse of her baby. 
The babies are so fun to watch, because they're just like human kiddos. Always ready to play and explore.

However, the realities of life can affect even the smallest ones. There was another doe that had twin fawns.
We found her carcass in the woods last week. Near as we could tell, she'd been hit by a car.
Now, her fawns are on their own.
We watch for them as much as we can, put out feed for them and do whatever we can to protect them from the coyotes that have returned to the area. I can't help thinking of Bambi, though, and wondering when the twins' big buck of a father is going to swoop in and take care of them.

And then there are those things will make you shudder. 

**Creepy alert**

This banana spider has been parked on the window over my sink for about six weeks. 
Yes, it's on the outside, because if it were inside it would be squished by now. But it's not poisonous and, outside, it poses no threat. At least, not to me. To be honest, it's been rather interesting to watch its behavior. It redoes its web about every other day. It's grown considerably over the weeks. With each "catch," it grows a little more. And just watching its movements when something becomes caught in the web has been intriguing. If only it didn't have so many legs. 

We are gearing up for the Fourth of July here at the ranch. Lots of food, fun and fireworks. Our twelve-year-old granddaughter and two-year-old grandson are here for the festivities. And nothing makes that little boy happier than hanging with the dogs.
I think it makes Dixie Dog pretty happy, too.

What are you Independence Day plans? 


Three time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she's not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more a mindyobenhaus.com.


9 comments:

  1. Spider needs to die.

    That's my gut.

    I am a mean person.

    I can gaze from a distance. Appreciate a gorgeous web. But when those big spiders get close enough, their life ends.

    May I repeat that I am a mean person.

    They keep their distance... life is golden.

    But step into or onto my domain...

    Funeral at 11:00.

    But I do love your love for those fawn babies!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, my usual stance is that the only good spider is a dead spider. And I'm not afraid to take them out. This seems to have gotten a pardon, though. So long as she stays outside anyway.

      Delete
    2. Ruthy I killed a spider at work today and didn't feel bad. I don't like them!

      Delete
  2. Ruthy and I share the same opinions about spiders. How do you feel about snakes, Ruthy? Because I don't like them, either! There was one in my chicken coop yesterday. I tried to corral it into an old cooler so it could be deported, but I was hampered by the fact that I.do.not.do.snakes. Lots of screaming, and the snake escaped with one suspiciously egg-sized lump in his scaly hide.
    So sad about the twin fawns' mother--and so sweet that you are looking after them as best you can. What beautiful pictures--and I just love the one of your cutie-pie grandson with the lovely Dixie! Thanks for the glimpse into your life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, I hate snakes. I hate spiders, too. Pretty much all bugs are on my hit list, with the exception of ladybugs and butterflies. However, the banana spiders do eat mosquitoes, so perhaps that's why I decided to let her live.

      Snakes in the hen house is one thing that frightens me about getting chickens. I'm sure I'd have been screaming just like you. And dancing the heebie-jeebies.

      Delete
  3. Summer on the ranch!

    And I can even enjoy the spider - outside - far away. I always let garden spiders live. They're rather pretty and make gorgeous webs. I always think of Charlotte. But Black Widows and Brown Recluse? No way. And if there's a spider in the house it's dead. Now.

    The picture of Dixie with your grandson is so precious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Max adores Dixie. They're so cute together. And I'm with you on black widows and brown recluse. Shudder. For a couple of months this past winter I kept seeing wolf spiders in the house. Fortunately, they were usually dead or dying when I saw them, though I was happy to end their suffering. Still not sure what that was about. Even our bug guy was surprised.

      Delete
  4. That spider is fascinating. I had an orb spider spin a web on the front gate of my house once and it was intriguing to watch. Because it was outside!

    My 4th includes watching fireworks from my house. The big NYC show was moved to the Brooklyn Bridge this year, so I'll have a front row seat without even leaving home.

    Happy 4th in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been fun to watch this spider, Mary Cate. Mostly because there's a pane of glass separating us. And watching fireworks over the Brooklyn Bridge sounds amazing. Wish I were there to watch them with you.

      Delete