Monday, July 29, 2019

Quick and Healthy Smoothie

Jan here with a super quick breakfast!

We're beginning our second week of our summer hiatus, and have moved from our temporary home in the Hills to a little log cabin in town. :-) More about the cabin next week!

While we were still in the Hills, my friend Mel shared her super-healthy, super-easy smoothie recipe with me. Trust me - you'll love this. And it has no weird ingredients!



Start with some simple basics (and you can mix or match wherever you want to):



Some juice and/or water. For this smoothie I used 1/4 cup cranberry juice and 1/4 cup water.

Berries or cherries. I used 1/3 cup frozen blueberries.

Another fruit. I used 1/2 peach for this smoothie, but any kind of fruit works. Apple, banana, mango, pear...

About a cup of fresh greens. I used spinach, but the spring green mix would work. Or if you have fresh greens in your garden, add those in!

About 1/2 - 1 cup yogurt. Plain Greek yogurt is good.

A heaping Tablespoon ground flax seeds.

Optional: Any other add-in you want. Mel adds some powdered fiber.

That's it. No sugar. No weird stuff. Just fruit, yogurt, and greens.


The last step is to blend it. Mel has a Tribest personal blender that works wonderfully. A Nutri-bullet is another similar brand. Or you can use your regular blender.

Just blend it until it's smooth, then drink up!

And it's filling enough to last until lunch time.

As much as I like the Trim Healthy Mama shakes, I'm hooked on these smoothies. Especially for a quick summer meal or snack!

Are you a smoothie person? Or will you stick to your eggs and bacon?







7 comments:

  1. Ha! You say nothing weird but I have strong feelings about green things going in a smoothie. To me that is just plain weird. So I'd do this without the spinach! And living in a log cabin????? How cool is that?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The greens aren't bad at all in this smoothie...but they do affect the color. Mel's hubby doesn't like greens in his, either, but he found a protein powder that contains "greens" and uses that instead.

      And the log cabin? Well, you'll just have to wait until next week to get the full story!

      Delete
  2. I do like smoothies, Jan. I have to be careful though because if I use juice on top of mine, the sugar content is too high (even without added sugar) and then I feel jittery afterwards.

    My favorite (watch everyone cringe) is coconut water and or water, blueberries (fresh or frozen) kale and beets.

    I've also done one with chocolate protein powder, iced coffee, and a drip of coconut oil that tastes like a coconut mocha frappuccino.

    Looking forward to reading more about your log cabin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeep!!! Kale and beets together in one smoothie? Y'all are adventurous! I'm all about yogurt and fruit and a bit of water and call it yum. lol

      Delete
    2. I'm going to have to try the kale and beets combo (I can just imagine the color on that one!)

      And I found a cranberry juice that is sweetened with stevia. It's from Ocean Spray, and I think it's called "pink cranberry" or something like that. You'll have to look for it.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I love smoothies.... and I don't make them often, and I should. They would be the perfect go-to lunch. I tend to go to the M&M peanut jar instead.

    SIGH.....

    But smoothies with Greek yogurt would be a more sound choice!!!! Clearly I'm a dork for not doing that, but should I confess here that my Nutri-bullet thing STYMIED me for about a year.... until I finally had Beth show me how to use the whole crazy inverted system????

    And we know that I haven't come anywhere near mastering the Instant Pot yet, so I'm a techno-weako.

    But this looks so good, that I must try it!

    And Mindy, do you think she adopted those fawns? I wonder???? You can keep your sweet baby deer right down there, we have our own big hale and hearty whitetails and they want to eat all of our veggies.... they think we planted them a buffet.

    We did not. At least not intentionally!

    Jan, can't wait to hear about the cabin.... and cranberry juice with stevia??? Now I would love that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My own personal blender arrived today (I combined some birthday gift cards from my children) and I made my first smoothie with it for lunch today. I had been missing them since we moved back into town!

      Blueberries, banana and yogurt, with some flax seed and greens. Yum!

      Delete