Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Which meal would you choose?

I'm guessing, without even really knowing us well, that you're going to be able to figure out which of these meals was cooked by my daughter and which was my creation.





Beef stew in the slow cooker

Scrambled eggs and homemade corned beef hash.

Corned beef with twice-baked potato

Irish brown bread to go with the stew


I considered asking you to vote for your favorite, but I was pretty sure there would be no loyalty among the Yankee Belle crew, and she would win hands down!


I cooked tricolor quinoa and mixed in some kale and dark red kidney beans.


Black beans with leftover chickpea/kale/spinach bowl with garam masala

I thought I took a photo of the chickpea, quinoa and kale bowl, but I can't find it.


This one is tuna simmered in honey mustard over spaghetti nests. It tasted absolutely delicious!




But we could consider who had the healthier options *cough cough* 

I think my black bean quinoa dish wins that round - a tasty, meat-free, high protein (very cheap) meal.

But if I was choosing by taste, I'd have to go with her scrambled eggs and corned beef hash.

What would you choose?


9 comments:

  1. They all look marvelous, actually... I like simple. After cooking for a crew since I was a kid, I'm okay with quick and simple... and easy! I still cook meals, but I'm so easy to please now, LOL! My tuna sandwiches on toasted bagels with everything seasoning and fresh lettuce are one of my favorite meals... But here I'd have to go with the corned beef and twice-baked potato... Oh mylanta, I love corned beef.

    And I also love and admire how you're able to put together meals during tough times. I declare you would be a Prairie Survivor, Cate!!!! Go you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Partly it's because meals don't really interest me either. As long as it takes away the hunger and doesn't taste awful, I'm fine. That said, there are times I want a delicious meal, but that doesn't happen often. Back in the day (before I worried about things like sodium content) a huge sandwich was my favorite meal.

      Delete
  2. That Tuna dish sounds good. My husband loves different things like that. Is there a recipe? Don't down play your meals! Because of your recipes I have been inspired to keep trying new things with kale. Recently I did apples, some hard cider, and bacon sauted with kale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Katie. There really wasn't a recipe. LOL I get this brand of honey mustard called Honeycup. I took a tablespoon of that and mixed in some water and simmered the tuna in it for a bit while I cooked the pasta. I did put some butter in the pasta after I drained it and then spooned the tuna mix on top.

      So simple.

      Delete
  3. The quinoa looks delicious, Mary Cate. I haven't fixed quinoa in forever, though I do have some in the pantry. I think it's time I make some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it, Mindy. I clearly made too much, though. Originally I had it with chickpeas, then I added red kidney beans, and then I still had some left, so I used the black beans.

      Delete
  4. Mary Cate, the quinoa dish looks good to me!! I'm not a big fan of corned beef. :) But I will say her beef stew looked really good as well. So it's a tie!! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's funny, Missy. The beef stew recipe called for carrots, but she hates carrots so she used celery instead. It just looks weird to me to not see the bright orange pieces.

      Delete
  5. Ohhhhh -- I want some of that Irish brown bread slathered with butter please! And I'd definitely chow down on your veggie offering. I've been living on chili all week (should have put some in the freezer) and I'm ready for a change.

    ReplyDelete