Friday, April 24, 2020

Chocolate Cobbler (Revisited)

Missy Tippens

I thought I would share this recipe again. It's one of my favorites! Originally shared in April of 2018...



I went hunting for this recipe the other day and couldn't find it. I can't believe I haven't posted it here before! This post is overdue.

First, I need to thank Shirley Tidwell who made this dessert for our Bible study luncheons at our previous church. She graciously sent me the recipe. I just love how she wrote it (including all the places to DO NOT STIR!), so I'm going to copy and paste. :)


Chocolate Cobbler (From Shirley Tidwell)

8” dish



1 stick butter, melted
¾ cup sugar
1 ½ Tbsp. Cocoa
1 cup self rising flour
½ cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla



Mix sugar, cocoa, flour, milk and vanilla. Pour over melted margarine.  
DO NOT STIR!!!



1 cup sugar
¼ cup cocoa

Mix and sprinkle dry over batter.  DO NOT STIR!!!

Pour 1 ½ cups boiling water over all.  DO NOT STIR!!!

Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees.



See how simple! I actually doubled the recipe when I made it last. So the pan pictured here is a regular sized cake pan. I'll quickly show all the steps...






A quick note here. When I was searching for Shirley's recipe, I ran into a similar one that mentioned adding chocolate chips. So if you'd like to do that, I would sprinkle them here on top of the batter. Then sprinkle on the dry topping.


Here it is with the boiling water added...




I took the dish to some friends' house that night, and as we rushed out the door with the cobbler straight out of the oven, I forgot to take a photo. Here's a closeup of a bit that was leftover. :)



It's almost like a lava cake. It has a pudding-like layer. Very chocolatey and yummy!

www.missytippens.com

7 comments:

  1. Oh my stars! I've been having huge chocolate cravings. I actually have everything on hand to make this tonight. This may be a first ha. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum....I haven't made this yet. I keep getting stuck on the self-rising flour because I never buy it. Did discover it in the grocery story, though...back in the day when flour was plentiful. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, that's so true! Flour and yeast are hard to come by. But if you can make your own self-rising flour. I just looked it up to make sure the amounts:

      for 150g/1 cup plain flour use half-teaspoon baking powder and half-teaspoon of bicarbonate soda (also known as baking soda).

      Delete
  3. This is a very timely recipe! Simple ingredients - and chocolate. I'm going to have to make this...

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did I miss this on Friday???? Oh my stars, right up my alley, Missy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, I'm late, Missy. Blame it on deadlines. This reminds me of my peach cobbler recipe. Never imagined it could be done in a chocolate version. I like this!

    ReplyDelete