Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Let's Just Eat Cake - Sour Cream Blueberry Bundt Cake

I am head-down in a book deadline this week, so leftovers have been the name of the game in the Obi house lately. But after this week... Look out! Because I'm ready to bake. And this cake will be at the top of my list because it's one of my absolute favorites.
Sour Cream Blueberry Bundt Cake is moist (a must in my book) and bursting with blueberries. And it is perfect for spring or summer.

Here's what you'll need:
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen and thawed
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, mix together butter and sugar on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add eggs and mix just enough to combine. Now add your vanilla, sour cream, salt and baking powder.
Beat a medium speed for another minute.

Bump the speed back down to low and add your flour, just a little at a time so you don't find yourself in a cloud of dust, mixing just until everything is incorporated.
Your batter will be stiff, but don't worry. It's also totally delicious. Just sayin.

Now add your blueberries.
 And gently fold into the batter.
Spray your bundt pan with baking spray. The kind with the flour in it.
This was my mother's bundt pan, circa 1970-something, evidenced by the lovely orange color.
Spoon batter into pan.
Then smooth and gently press the batter with a spatula so it's even.
Bake 45-55 minutes. Always start with the minimum time and test your cake for doneness before adding more time. Test by inserting toothpick midway between the side of the pan and the center cylinder thing (it's a technical term).
Cool cake in pan for 15 minutes then invert onto wire rack to cool completely.
Once cooled, it's time to make the icing. For that, you will need:
  • 2 TBS unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 2-3 TBS milk
Whisk the first three ingredients and 2 tablespoons of the milk together in medium bowl. If icing is too stiff to drizzle, add a little more milk. You don't want it super thin, just thin enough to drizzle over cooled cake.
The bigger blobs you see are because the icing was too thick initially.

Look at those luscious blueberries.
Yum! I cannot wait to make this again. Perhaps this will help sustain us as we tackle the long list of chores that will need to be addressed once the book is turned in. Why is it that everything needs cleaning or sprucing up in the spring? Outside, flower beds need to be cleaned out, replanted and mulched. Cobwebs seem to be everywhere and they have got to go. Walkways need to be power-washed, windows need cleaning, both inside and out. Once that's taken care of, then it'll be time to address all those things I've neglected inside. We even have a bedroom we need to redo, but that's a post for another day.

What's lining up on your to-do list? 

Three time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus is passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. She lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, one sassy pup, countless cattle, deer and the occasional coyote, mountain lion or snake. When she's not writing, she enjoys spending time with her grandchildren, cooking and watching copious amounts of the Hallmark Channel. Learn more at mindyobenhaus.com

14 comments:

  1. Oh, this looks marvelous, Mindy. Tender and moist and all the good attributes of a great dessert... and blueberries always taste better in cake, don't they? I'm not as huge a fan in pie.... or even plain... but in cakes and muffins, they are the bomb!

    Now I must try this!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, I have always been a fan of blueberries. Even blueberry pie. My grandmother used to make blueberry jam that I loved, too. But I really, really love this cake. So yes, you must try it. ;)

      Delete
    2. Will do. I will share it with other stay-at-homes. DRIVE BY!!!! A whole new meaning!

      Delete
  2. This looks so good! But I'm out of blueberries. I'll have to put them on the grocery list.

    Baking has become a challenge around here. We are both craving comfort foods and sweets, which is tough on the waistline. So I've been experimenting with smaller batches. I cut my recipe for no-bake cookies in half yesterday, and they turned out great - and we don't have tons of cookies sitting in the kitchen tempting us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know what you mean, Jan. If sweets are in the house, I'm tempted until they're gone. But you just gave me an idea. I have one of those pans that's like a jumbo muffin pan, but it makes small bundt-like cake. Bundt-like in that there's no center hole, so it's not a ring. Still, I wonder if I could use that for this recipe. Make several, then freeze some for later. Thanks for the inspiration, Jan.

      Delete
  3. This looks amazing, Mindy! I need some--right now! LOL Well, technically, I don't really NEED some, but I definitely WANT some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, Winnie. I have the same dilemma. However, with all that's going on in the world, we're just going to put this into the NEED category. ;)

      Delete
  4. I just made it and sent about 1/3 home with Dan, our farm helper... and he's so excited!!!!! I can't wait to taste it, Mindy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love it, Ruthy. But aren't you supposed to taste it BEFORE you share it with someone else? I just take this as meaning you trust me. ;)

      Delete
    2. Typical Ruthy! I just sit and look at it and think how good it would be, and Ruthy runs into the kitchen and whips it up in about 5 minutes and shares it on Facebook and with others! *sigh*

      Delete
  5. This looks wonderful, Mindy. My one quarantine spurge was ordering 3 coffeecakes online. One was blueberry cranberry. But this looks way better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet those were delicious, Mary Cate. Perhaps, once you're able to get out to the store, you can make this for yourself. Or I could mail you one. Hmm... I wonder how this would travel. ;)

      Delete
  6. Mindy, I'm late! But this looks amazing!! I wish you could mail me a piece (or ten). :)

    ReplyDelete