Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Another Comforting Dessert

Here at the ranch, we're enjoying a few glorious days of moderate temperatures and low humidity. The kind of weather that has us throwing open the windows and spending a lot of time outdoors. 
Baby wrens are learning how to fly.
And this mulberry tree that we've never seen fruit on before is suddenly bursting with berries.
Even an afternoon rain shower can't make us head inside. Peaceful. Relaxing.
BTW, that's the mulberry tree with the ladder beside it. Hubby has been picking the berries. They're very tasty, though I don't think we can gather enough to do anything with. 

With temps in the 80s though, I wasn't about to turn on the oven. Even for comfort food. Fortunately, comfort food doesn't always come out of the oven. The pantry and fridge can play well together to come up with a satisfying treat.
Whether you call it Cherry Yum-Yum, Cherry Delight or some other name, this easy dessert is a classic. The best part is that the ingredients could very well be in your fridge or pantry right now.
  • 1 3/4 cups crushed graham cracker crumbs
  • 1/3 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
  • 1/4 cup melted butter
  • 1 envelope Dream Whip
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla, divided
  • 8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
  • 1 can cherry pie filling
Mix crushed graham crackers, 1 tablespoon sugar and melted butter in medium bowl, then pressed evenly into 9x9 baking dish.
Mix the Dream Whip with milk and 1/2 tsp vanilla in medium bowl. Mix on low to blend, then beat on high for 4 minutes, until peaks form.
Set aside.

In a large bowl, beat softened cream cheese, 1/3 cup sugar and the remaining 1/2 tsp vanilla.
Add Dream Whip to cream cheese mixture and mix on low to medium, until completely mixed.
Spoon over crust.
Spread evenly.
Spoon pie filling over that, taking care when spreading so as not to disturb the cream layer.
Cover with plastic wrap and chill for a minimum of 3 hours, or overnight.
 That's some good eatin' right there. I like that it's not super rich. And the tang of the cherries with the cream is one of my favorites.

Our delightful weather had us washing windows all weekend. Inside and out. It's a chore I gladly procrastinate on, but I sure do love the results. 

What's keeping you busy? Chores? Writing? Kiddos?


Three time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus is passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. She lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, one sassy pup, countless cattle, deer and the occasional coyote, mountain lion or snake. When she's not writing, she enjoys spending time with her grandchildren, cooking and watching copious amounts of the Hallmark Channel. Learn more at mindyobenhaus.com

14 comments:

  1. I remember this recipe being in ladies' magazines when I was a young mon! When Dream Whip commercials were on TV... and my kids still like Chocolate "Dream" pie instead of my homemade chocolate cream pie because it's what they knew first.... Oh, so many good memories!

    And did you know that you can sub in Cool Whip for the Dream Whip if you don't have Dream Whip in the cupboard? It works great and no one around here can tell the difference... And not all stores carry Dream Whip now. The bigger ones have it, but you don't always find it at the smaller groceries around here.

    This looks delicious and cool and refreshing... and I will bookmark it for warmer days.

    And that wren!!!!! Oh, that sweet baby wren! :)

    I love baby birds.

    They're so little and innocent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, I wondered about subbing Cool Whip. Then I ate it. Like ice cream. So then I had to go with the Dream Whip. It's nice to have it in the pantry for those times when I don't have Cool Whip. Either one of those mixed with cream cheese is a winner in my book.

      Delete
  2. Oh, yummy yum yum, that looks good enough to eat! I have never had success with this kind of cheese cake (or any kind for that matter.) My cream cheese part is always soupy. I have no idea why. But this makes me want to try just one more time!

    Guess what???? It's spring! I saw some daffs and crocuses and those little blue flowers I don't know the name of people scatter through their lawns (almost as pretty as your blue bonnets!) I've worked in the garden once already and I'm about to go out again. eeeeeeeppppp!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for spring! I know you're thrilled to be able to work in the garden again.

    As for the soupy cream cheese, I wonder if, maybe, you over-mixed it. But that is also where the refrigerating comes in. Though mine didn't start soupy. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy; would make it if I had all ingredients. BUT we are sheltering in, (unable physically to do home projects) and I stay busy reading Love Inspired books AND reviewing. Loved your books HCC, RintheR, HRMH and just posted review on A for HRMH (kinda summing up that series). I plan to donate them to my small county library WHEN they reopen. LI books are popular with readers there, and the library is great about displaying them. Keep up the great writing and stay safe in the virus days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jackie. You are too sweet. reading is always a great escape and I'm thrilled that I'm able to provide that means. Oh, and thank you for donating them. Stay safe.

      Delete
  5. I'm laughing so hard at this, Mindy. You said these items could very well be in your pantry. Ha Ha. The only thing on that list that I had is the vanilla!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Mary Cate! Maybe after the quarantine you can stock up. :)

      Delete
    2. I can only imagine, Mary Cate. :)

      Delete
  6. That definitely is good eatin'! You know, I don't think I've ever made this. But I sure have enjoyed it at church dinners. :) I think maybe it's time to correct this situation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mindy I eat cool whip like ice cream too! Lol Sprinkle some chocolate chips and I am good. You make me want to go to Texas. It has been raining here so the pepper plants that need to get planted are going to have to wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, I never thought about adding chocolate chips. Face palm. Those mini ones would be awesome. And I think I have some. Now I just need to replenish my Cool Whip stash. What kind of peppers? Bell or jalapeno?

      Delete