Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Taking Comfort in Cookies

I don't know about you, but when chaos reigns, I want to bake/cook. There's a reason we refer to things as "comfort food." It's because it's something that comforts us when life gets wonky. Well, life has gotten pretty wonky for most of us these days. Things we once took for granted are now taboo. We can't go to the gym or the beauty shop...or church!

All of this social distancing has required some creativity. Many of us are doing more things online, like church. But we also feel uncomfortable, fearful, because suddenly, we're being ruled by some invisible force that is spreading across the world. 

Things just aren't right. Therefore, I need comfort food. I'm in control when I'm in my kitchen. And lately, I find myself wanting to make things I haven't had in years. Things that remind me of simpler times or being a kid. And what's more kid-friendly than cookies?

Peanut butter cookies have long been a favorite of mine, but for some reason I can't remember the last time I made them. Wait, that's not completely true. I do make peanut blossoms--the ones with the Hershey kiss in the middle--during the holidays. But I'm talking about old-school peanut butter cookies. The kind with the little crisscross of the fork on top.

Lightbulb moment! Now I remember why I don't make them. Because I'm the only one in my house who likes them. And you know what that means.

I wasn't about to let that discourage me, though. So I pulled out my tried and true Betty Crocker cookbook and went to the same recipe I've always used.

Here's what you'll need:
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar 
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Mix sugars, shortening, peanut butter and egg. 
Stir in flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt. 
Shape dough into 1 1/4 inch balls and place 3 inches apart on baking sheet. Flatten in crisscross pattern with fork.

Bake 10-12 minutes. I don't let mine get too brown, because I don't like crispy cookies.
Remove from cookie sheet and cool on wire rack. Of course, I didn't let them cool completely before I dug in. Warm cookies are always the best.

Mmmmm… My childish heart--not to mention my taste buds--were happy dancing.

Isn't it interesting how food can effect our mood? How there are certain things we gravitate to depending on our mood. And I have no doubt many of us are indulging in our favorite comfort foods these days. 

What are some recipes you turn to when life gets bumpy?


Three time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus is passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. She lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, one sassy pup, countless cattle, deer and the occasional coyote, mountain lion or snake. When she's not writing, she enjoys spending time with her grandchildren, cooking and watching copious amounts of the Hallmark Channel. Learn more at mindyobenhaus.com



8 comments:

  1. Mindy, these tend to be the forgotten cookie, and that's plain wrong... because they're so good! On the farm we pair two peanut butter cookies with our homemade dark chocolate frosting and we sell them as Whoopie pies and folks love them. They're so good! Of course, anything with homemade chocolate frosting is good, right?

    Like you, I take to baking, then I drop the goods off in folks yards or on their steps and then I wave.

    :)

    So while it's a weird time, we're all getting through and praying for those who are in a real sense of difficulty with all of this.

    And This Too Shall Pass...

    And there will be stories to tell on the other side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, I tend to be kind of an au naturel gal, but I could certainly be persuaded to try these sandwiched with chocolate frosting. And now I need to make more cookies.

      Delete
  2. yummmm -- warm peanut butter cookies with a cold glass of milk! Funny, I'm a fan too but I rarely make them. That's because my daughter developed an allergy so I never had peanut butter around and I was just in the habit of not buying it once she left home. I did, however, make some when our whole social distancing started three weeks ago. But I found a recipe with oatmeal and tried that. Hmmm...wonder if that means I could eat them for breakfast? :-) And, of course, I threw in some mini chocolate chips because, well, just because.

    I see Ruthy has the same idea about pairing chocolate with peanut butter only her idea is way more decadent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, yes, yes, absolutely yes. Anything with oatmeal doubles as a breakfast food. I mean if chocolate chip muffins are considered a breakfast food, the oatmeal in the cookies has to make them practically healthy, right? That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

      Delete
  3. We must be thinking alike, Mindy! I got the urge to bake cookies yesterday, and ended up with molasses instead of peanut butter (I let hubby vote!)

    And yes, I agree. Comfort food (or movies, or books, or blankies) are needed right now. Whatever you do, don't take away my favorite pillow! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I love molasses cookies, but would you believe I've never made them? I might need to remedy that.

      Delete
  4. YUM! My favorite, too! (Along with the ones with Hershey's Kisses in them). Thanks for sharing! My daughter and I have been craving sweets, and craving the comforting act of baking. We'll have to make these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, I think Ruthy was right when she called these the forgotten cookie.

      Delete