Wednesday, April 15, 2020

A Tale of Two Quarantines

This was the post that was supposed to go up last week except that I lost track of days. Thanks to Ruthy for noticing and filling in. This not leaving the house stuff messes with keeping track of the days.


So, my daughter and I are both in lockdown in our separate Brooklyn neighborhoods. There are several main differences.

I spent my marriage cooking dinner nearly every night for 34 years, so cooking for myself really holds little appeal.

She, on the other hand, normally has a very erratic work schedule that requires takeout and eating out far more than allowing time to cook. For her, this time at home is a chance to be creative in the kitchen.

So today, I thought I would share some of her cooking successes.

Green bell peppers & chicken in Thai Curry sauce (mix of red & yellow)

Mexican rice, sautéed green beans, seared Ahi tuna

Lavender herbed leg of lamb, roast potatoes, and sautéed green beans

Cheese mini ravioli in rosemary butter sauce with seared salmon

Lima beans and seared steak 

Multicolor bell peppers & chicken over rice in yellow Thai curry sauce

Cheesy grits, sautéed green beans, and salmon burgers with chipotle mayo

Mexican rice, polenta, seared Ahi tuna



Sautéed green beans, salmon burgers with chipotle mayo and rotini with butter & salt


Next week you get my version of Quarantine Cuisine.

She draws her inspiration from recipes she finds online, and then adjusts based on taste, and more importantly in the days of quarantine, what's available in her tiny apartment pantry.


And because Mindy asked yesterday what things were looking like in out neck of the woods, here's a touch of spring in Brooklyn.

The Brooklyn Botanic Gardens did a tour of the Japanese Garden. So if you would like a tour of scenic Brooklyn, have a look.




11 comments:

  1. Oh Cate! That walk through the garden was beautiful! Thank you for the virtual taste of spring. We're still in the grips of winter with snow almost every day this week!

    And your daughter's food looks wonderful. She can come cook for me at any time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, if you need more spring, take a look around their website. They had an earlier tour of the Magnolia gardens.

      Delete
  2. Well, thanks to slow rural satellite internet, I wasn't able to watch the video, but the header was beautiful. The Ft. Worth Botanic Garden has a Japanese garden, too, that stunning.

    I am majorly impressed with your daughter's meals. Yum. And yay for her. What a great use of this time. And she's probably eating better than most people. Now that's the way to make the most of a bad situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY STARS.....

    I am so crazy impressed! I'd be eating the tuna straight from a can, cooking the ravioli and tossing a jar of sauce in the fridge if I lived alone... so Mary, I understand this fully! But I'm so proud of her!!!!! Well done, lovely! Well done!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And now I want to live in that garden. Oh mylanta.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! My daughters studied gardening in the BBG when they were kids. They each had their own little plot. The younger one grew up to specialize in horticultural therapy and she even worked at BBG for awhile before she moved to Maine.

      Delete
  5. Love the way she displays her food as well. Very artistic and appealing. My daughter is the same way. Feasting with the eyes is just as important as the actual feasting.

    We're just seeing buds coming out on the trees and a few crocuses here and there though our temps have dipped again so it doesn't feel springy quite yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, yes! My other daughter was teasing her about her plating skills. I have little patience for that. I'd rather be writing.

      Delete
  6. Mary Cate, your daughter's meals are amazing!! I want to have her come cook for us!! :)

    Now I'm really hungry. You made me crave something healthy!

    ReplyDelete