Monday, April 6, 2020

A Little Bit of Sweet and a Little Bit of Savory

Jan here with a reminder that desperate times call for desperate measures...and they usually involve chocolate!

Sometimes on our trips to Sam's Club, we'll indulge in a treat for ourselves. The last time we went, it was my turn to choose...

The background is my Susan Branch
desk blotter calendar. I get one every year to add a bit
of whimsy to my office.

Yes, those are Dove Chocolate Promises. YUM! I've been making them last, only having one or three at a time....

The one in the green wrapper is salted caramel. The gooey salted caramel is wrapped in delicious Dove dark chocolate. I wish the entire container had been filled with that one flavor!

But it made me start thinking about that blend of sweet and savory - salt & caramel, apples & peanut butter, salted peanuts on a hot fudge sundae, etc. 

One of my favorite ways to blend the two tastes is in this salad idea I got from our friend Pam Hillman.


Yes, that is a can of tuna. And yes, that is an apple. You can substitute soy sauce for the Bragg's Aminos, and mayo for the wedge of Light Laughing Cow Cheese. Just dice the apple and blend everything together according to your taste...and don't knock it until you've tried it!


This is a delicious and filling low-fat, healthy-carb lunch!

Another sweet and savory combination I often have for lunch is a baked sweet potato. But not the way you're thinking - I don't load my sweet potatoes down with butter and brown sugar anymore! (Unless it's Thanksgiving...)


Do you see my secret ingredient? Yes! It's cumin!

When I want to have a sweet potato for lunch, I put it in the oven right after breakfast. I cut the ends off (to minimize the stringiness,) wrap it in foil, and bake it for 3 hours at 325° or 2 hours at 350°. By the time I'm ready for lunch, it's baked to perfection. The skin pulls off easily, then I split it in two and 1 teaspoon of butter, a dash of salt and pepper, and then plenty of cumin. 

What makes it so delicious? I'm convinced it's the combination of the sweet potato and the savory cumin. I'm always a little sad when I get to the last bite...

What is your favorite sweet and savory combination?

In doggy news, we had a couple gorgeous spring days before our snowstorm last week, so we took Sam to Custer State Park for the first time.


As soon as we were out of the truck, both pups had their noses to the ground! 

This is a service road, not an official hiking trail, but it is inside the park so wildlife is at large. We saw signs of bison (the buffalo chips were fresh!) and we know that deer, elk, antelope, coyotes and a huge number of other animals frequent this area. Smells abound!


Every dog's favorite hobby is finding sticks, right? Especially these two!


And especially when the "sticks" are actually trees that fell after some long-ago forest fire.


How much fun can a pup have?


We walked "in" about 15 minutes, let the pups rest, and then walked back "out." A nice easy hike for early spring.

The pups have a favorite treat on an occasional evening - 


I fill their Kong toys with a mixture of plain yogurt and puppy kibble, 


then throw them in the freezer for a few hours. They keep the pups busy during that freak-out time between supper and bed, especially when a storm keeps us inside all day.

Ah, the joys of raising puppies! I'm glad it doesn't last forever!




Jan Drexler is an author by day who is addicted to counted cross stitch and sauntering through the Hills with her dear husband and their puppies - goofy corgi Jack and baby border collie Sam. You can find Jan's books and other fun things on her website: www.JanDrexler.com.

6 comments:

  1. Those puppy pis are adorable!!! I just want to smoosh them both and kiss their furry faces off. lol A family in my neigbourhood just got a puppy -- a darling little fluff ball of a golden retriever and it's so hard to remember I can't love on him. Hard for them in their training too because this is the age you want to get them used to meeting people and navigating around strange things like walkers etc and they can't do that because we have to stay 2 meters apart.

    I hear you on the chocolate stash. When everyone was hoarding tp and flour I was busy making chocolate drop cookies and chocolate chip cookie and brownies and I don't know what else. My freezer if crammed with comfort food. You can't say I don't have my priorities straight. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You stocked up on the right things!!!

      And so sad about the lack of puppy cuddles. At least you can talk to your neighbor's pup so that he knows you when the restrictions are off.

      Now I'm off to make cookies...you've inspired me, Kav!

      Delete
  2. Oh what a fun idea about the yogurt-filled puppy toys! I've never thought of that, Jan! And the walk with the pups... that's a wonderful thing. Best therapy ever.... there is something so delightful about walking a dog.

    Tuna, apples and soy.

    Well, I've never tried it, but I've learned to love sweet-and-savory things, so I will probably love it because I love tuna. It's a big favorite.

    Jan, waving to you from WNY where it's in the FIFTIES today... :) We're climbing slowly, but the important thing is that we're climbing. We've got this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waving back, Ruthy!

      And yes, you HAVE to try Pam's tuna salad!

      Delete
  3. Jan, I'm sorry I'm a day late. But boy, I'm glad I came by! I learned lots! Like this amazing tuna recipe. And that I can substitute soy sauce for liquid aminos. And to cut the ends off sweet potatoes to prevent the stringiness (who knew??!!)!

    Oh, and I also learned this great Kong trick!! I'll have to remember it for when we get another dog someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and also cumin on sweet potatoes! I've never thought of it, but I LOVE cumin.

      Delete