Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Social Distancing at the Ranch

I have to say, living in the country sure makes this COVID19 pandemic and social distancing a lot easier. After being a city-dweller for most of my life, one of the things I appreciate most about ranch life is being able to commune with nature simply by walking out my door. Granted, there are times when that's not a good thing. Right, Maddie?
She got bit by a nasty old copperhead Thursday night. And, because she kept messing with the bite area, we had to add insult to injury in the form of the dreaded cone-of-shame. I am happy to report, though, that she is doing fine and now happily cone-free .

Yes, the wildlife is coming out to play here at the ranch. In the days leading up to Easter, we were inundated with baby bunnies. And while they're timing may have been spot-on, seeing their little furry bodies hopping around had our dogs thinking they were toys, which, in turn,  kept us hopping in order to protect the bunnies. So to all the mama rabbits out there, if you love your babies, please make your nests in the woods and not my flower beds. 

Bunnies aren't the only things we've seen, though. This beautiful creature decided to get up close and personal with hubby. Don't you just love how nature has its own unique camouflage? 
The tree frogs are out in force. They're fun to watch, but they sure can make a lot of noise. Especially on a rainy day.
This squirrel spent a good bit of time circling our hillbilly hot tub, debating whether or not he should dive in.
He did not, which was fine by me because we would have probably had to fish him out and I don't see that turning out very well.

And, of course, we always have our deer. Some of them will have fawns arriving in the coming weeks, so we're drawing quite the crowd.
Yes, these beautiful days, along with the pandemic and social distancing, make this the perfect time for taking long walks. 
On this day, me and my companions explored an area that had been burned out in a wildfire back in 2011.
Nature certainly is resilient. The beauty that can rise out of the ashes. 
Just look at those pine trees coming back amid some of the charred remains.

The dogs love exploring and never waste an opportunity to play in the water. No matter where it might be.
While my faithful companions played, I was on the lookout for dewberries. And nature did not disappoint.
It's still a little early. Maybe in another week or so they'll be purple and ready to pick.
Though, I did find a couple of early bloomers that were perfect for a quick snack on the go.
That's what's going on in my backyard. What's happening where you live?


Three time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus is passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. She lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, one sassy pup, countless cattle, deer and the occasional coyote, mountain lion or snake. When she's not writing, she enjoys spending time with her grandchildren, cooking and watching copious amounts of the Hallmark Channel. Learn more at mindyobenhaus.com

12 comments:

  1. Wow, you give social distancing a whole different view! Us city folks have to deter into the street to keep that 2 meter distance when we go on our walks.

    Love that picture of poor Maddie. Her ears!!!!! But snake bit???? Shudder. I can't even...she needs a body armor onesie for protection on her walks.

    Love all the wildlife (other than snakes) that you get to self isolate with. We have tons of bunnies too. They come out in the evening and are quite brave. Maybe because there aren't as many cars zooming around? They just hop a little bit away from me as I walk by and continue munching on the grass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, I can't imagine having to deter into the street. Of course, theoretically, there shouldn't be as many cars on the road.

      Yes, Maddie didn't see the snake when she went out to take care of business after dark and stepped right on the thing. Fortunately, my husband was there and saw the whole thing, so we knew what had happened and were able to call the vet and meet him right away.

      Delete
  2. What beautiful pictures, Mindy!

    Yes, I've lived in the city most of my life and am now happily, giddily living as a transplant to the country.

    We still have snow on the ground from the weekend storm, but crocuses were appearing last week from the bulbs I planted in the fall. If they can survive the deer, we'll eventually have blossoms to photograph.

    And the baby bison have begun to appear at Custer State Park. I see a trip there in our near future...if the sun continues to shine!

    But poor Maddie. Copperheads are nasty. I'm so glad she's recovering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, it's a different pace of life out in the country, isn't it? I know there are people who would hate it, but I enjoy having the wide open spaces and not having to worry about nosy neighbors. Of course, there are still those who are undesirable. Like snakes!

      Delete
  3. I love that picture of you... have I mentioned that before?

    I love country living. I love visiting the cities, but I've also been watching my beloved NYC change over the last 10-20 years.... in a way that makes it less fun, less appealing. And because I'm old enough to remember it being not so appealing 40 years ago, I was so happy to see it in its prime.... but in the end, give me the tree frogs, the bunnies, the flowers, the birds. Oh mylanta, the frogsong at night from my peepers lasts until the birds take over around 5:30 AM... and it's awesome!!!!!! I love the noise! Winter is so quiet here, it's a joy to welcome the noise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, first of all, thank you. That picture of me just debuted right here today. My daughter is a photographer, so when she was here a few weeks ago, I told it was time for some new headshots and I wanted then taken here at the ranch. Of course, you can never really see the background much, but still.

      Those frogs. Soon we'll have the bullfrogs and the tree frogs serenading us. I guess they're just happy it's spring.

      Delete
  4. Ah, Mindy. So very different from my view. In the proposal I'm writing now, the heroine is a Texas transplant to Brooklyn. Hehe

    If all goes well, she and the hero will be reunited back in Texas.

    So happy Maddie had a happy ending. The bunnies are so cute, We used to see them down by the beach when I was growing up on Long Island.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Cate, now you know how I feel when I'm in NYC. Your heroine is probably feeling a little closed in and wondering why there are so many people. Of course, you write suspense, so she's probably trying to get away from someone and having a hard time because of all those people.

      Yeah, the bunnies are cute, but it's a pain when I have to keep rescuing them from my dogs.

      Delete
  5. Mindy, I thought Maddie was a bear in that water photo!! hahaha I'm so glad she's okay after tangling with a snake!

    I loved the walk through the woods with you. So peaceful.

    P.S I'm still giggling over the term hillbilly hot tub. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's kind of funny when we see the cows on the other side of the fence looking at it as though they're trying to figure out how to get to it. And I have, on occasion, found one or two drinking out of it in the summer when it's full. They mosey in when we're not looking and help themselves. And then I let the dogs chase them out. Serves them right for drinking out of my swimming pool. ;)

      Delete
  6. I also meant to say I love the new photo!

    ReplyDelete