Monday, April 13, 2020

Grilled Omelet/Cheese/Sandwich

Jan here. I hope you all had a wonderful, blessed Easter Sunday!

Ours was pretty quiet, partly because of the virus/pandemic, but mostly because of this:


A weekend storm that started with rain and ended with several inches of snow meant that we went nowhere, pandemic or not!

But no worries. Although I'm getting a little tired of eating out of our pantry (going on six weeks now,) I still have enough supplies to try out some new recipes. Daughter-in-law Katie shared this idea on Facebook last week and I adapted it to the food we have on hand.

This is my kind of comfort food, and perfect for a snowy Saturday evening!

Grilled Omelet/Cheese/Sandwich

I should really call this a grilled ham and cheese omelet sandwich...although I'm not sure it makes much difference.

One note - on Saturday I made this on my electric griddle. Earlier in the week I used a skillet on the stove. The stove worked much better, but you can only make one sandwich at a time.

For each sandwich you will need:

2 eggs
a splash of milk (2 or 3 Tablespoons)
salt & pepper to taste
2 slices of bread
cheese (2 slices of American or just under 1/4 cup shredded cheese)
2 slices ham lunch meat or cooked bacon (optional!)

First, heat your pan to medium heat. Scramble the eggs with the milk, salt and pepper and pour it into the pan (or onto the griddle.) IMMEDIATELY place the bread slices in the egg and flip over once to coat both sides with the egg mixture.


Layer both sides of the sandwich with cheese and ham.

I layered cheese-ham-cheese.

Turn the heat down to medium low and let the sandwich halves cook until the egg is cooked through and the cheese is starting to melt. (This is much easier in a skillet, and it helps speed up the process if you pop a lid on top for a few minutes.)


Once the egg is cooked and the cheese is melty, flip one side of the sandwich onto the other one. If you're able to, fold the excess egg into the center of the sandwich.

By the way, this picture shows how important it is to leave a little space between the two halves of the sandwich. There's nothing like a broken bread fail...although it doesn't change the yummy flavor!


Once both sides of the sandwich are nicely browned and everything is melty and lovely, it's ready to go! I find it best to eat this sandwich with a knife and fork!


These sandwiches were perfect for a light supper, but they'd make a great breakfast, too. :-)

And our storm lasted into the afternoon on Sunday, but the sun did make an appearance on Sunday morning - just in time to celebrate Easter!


How was your Easter celebration?


 

Jan Drexler is an author by day who is addicted to counted cross stitch and sauntering through the Hills with her dear husband and their puppies - goofy corgi Jack and baby border collie Sam. You can find Jan's books and other fun things on her website: www.JanDrexler.com.

13 comments:

  1. I am reading this before bed and maybe that wasn't such a great idea! These looked good before, but adding ham sounds even better. Now I can find the recipe too!

    PS keep the snow there. We have green grass and pretty birds. Not willing to give that up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our green grass is under the snow and the birds are making do. But the meadowlarks are still singing, even though it's frigid cold!

      Delete
  2. Jan, I think this is the first time I've ever seen anything like this recipe. I love it! I can't wait to try this. We have some turkey lunch meat right now and plenty of cheese and eggs. I'll try this for dinner this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! Turkey would be good, too! With a sprinkle of tarragon? Maybe!

      I hadn't seen anything like it either, and it was so good!

      Delete
  3. That looks delicious, Jan. It reminds me of adding cheese and ham to my favorite One-eyed egg recipe.

    Sadly, my food supply is running dangerously low on cheese. :( I had stocked up on many bags in the freezer, but I'm down to a few servings.

    Easter was quiet here. Had a video phone chat with my sisters and another with my daughters, but for dinner it was just me with the dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One-eyed egg, or toad-in-the-hole, is exactly what this reminded me of...or a simple bread and cheese baked omelet recipe that I have in one of my Mennonite cookbooks. It's the combination of bread, eggs, and cheese that fills that comfort food niche for me!

      Maybe you could use just the barest sprinkle of cheese...

      The video chat is an okay substitute for in-person visits, but I predict that when this is all over, family reunions will be rampant! I think you and your daughters need another trip to Maine this summer (without the car troubles!)

      Delete
  4. I have never even thought of such a clever thing!!!!! What a marvelous twist on two old favorites!!!!!

    Cate, supper with Fenway.

    :)

    I love it, but isn't it all so stinkin' weird??????

    Life has strange turns and twists, so I keep looking to Calvary and that empty grave... and knowing we can get through anything if He can get through that.

    Sending you virtual hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are going through some pretty weird times, aren't we? But that focus on the empty tomb...the one thing that never changes.

      "The grass withers, the flower fades,
      but the word of our God will stand forever."
      Isaiah 40:8

      Delete
  5. Jan, this is such an intriguing idea. One I can't wait to try.

    Yeah, it always seems strange when Easter weather looks more like Christmas. Easter is supposed to be flowers blooming, new grass and spring dresses. Not snow shovels, hot cocoa and winter coats. But I remember having those kind of Easters when I lived in colder climates. You just never know what you might end up with.

    The other day, I found myself wondering what if this quarantine had happened during the Christmas season instead of Easter. How things might have been. I bet the gifts would have been different. "Toilet paper! It's just what I wanted!" And the gatherings would be a lot different. It's hard to imagine Christmas without Christmas parties. But it would have been a great excuse to leave those decorations up longer. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This forced time of staying at home (whether ordered by our particular state or not) has given us new ways of doing things. Just like Easter was different, Christmas would have been, too. It makes us find the true meaning of what we're celebrating, I think. Rather than Christmas parties and presents, I have a feeling we would focus much more on the manger. I know that this Easter season I focused more on the cross.

      Delete
  6. Eeek!!!! to the snow. That was me last week -- we got a ton but it melted so fast! And today it's raining. Yay April showers.

    I really like this idea of a grilled cheese omelette sandwich. Ultimate comfort food!

    I actually had a lovely Easter Sunday. I watched the message on video and this time they included some worship music taped from people's homes and meshed together. (does that make sense?) Plus they did a long scripture reading using a some of the congregation reading snippets so it was fun to see some familiar faces after a month. It all blended really well together and got me inspired to do a youtube search for Easter music and before I knew it the day was half over!

    Plus it was lovely and sunny and warm so a great day to walk. Oh -- and our city blocked off one of the main streets down at the end of my road since there's a parallel road close by so that there's more space for folks to walk and bike and scooter and still keep their distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great that you're able to get out and enjoy the warm weather!

      And yes, ours will be back. Not this week...the forecast looks seasonably cool and cloudy, but eventually.

      Enjoy the comfort food, Kav!

      Delete