Friday, April 17, 2020

Dalgona Coffee

Missy Tippens

Hi, everyone! I hope you're all staying well and taking good care of yourselves. I'm sharing a recipe today that my daughter made that was new to me. Dalgona coffee. Apparently, it's a Tik Tok trend. Here's what it says on Wikipedia:

Dalgona coffee is a beverage made by whipping equal proportions of instant coffee, sugar and hot water until it becomes creamy and then adding it to cold or hot milk. Occasionally, it is topped with coffee powder, cocoa, crumbled biscuits, or honey.

My daughter used 2 Tbs. each of coffee, sugar and hot (microwaved) water, and it made one large serving that fit in a mason jar.

We don't have instant coffee, but we always keep espresso powder in the pantry. It seems to come up in recipes fairly often.


Whipping by hand took at while. I have to admit, I was a doubter. I told her I didn't think it would ever whip up without any fat. But lo and behold, it finally did form a soft peak!


 She then added the mix to her glass of oat milk to have it iced. 



Here is the dalgona coffee once she stirred it better. And yes, served it on an Atlanta Falcons coaster. :)



My daughter said it was good, especially if you like a strong, espresso flavor. But she said she would add more sugar next time. Of course, if you made it with instant coffee instead of the espresso powder, it might be just right.

If you try it, enjoy!

www.missytippens.com

12 comments:

  1. Interesting! Jacob needs his fox in the morning and has been brewing coffee and chilling it in a pitcher to have a few days at a time. This might be a good change up. Is it possible to add some flavor like vanilla or peppermint? Also do you have to hand whip it or would it work in the mixer? I don't actually have a super great hand whisk lol. Hope you are hanging in with the social distancing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I asked Michelle. She said you could use an electric hand mixer. It might go faster!

      I imagine you could add a few drops of flavoring easily.

      We're doing pretty well with the distancing. My husband and daughter are here with me. I miss seeing my boys and their families though! I did at least get my eyes on them last weekend when I delivered cloth face masks to them. I kept my distance, but it was great to see them in person and talk to them.

      Delete
    2. Katie, I wonder if Jacob would like that cold espresso we make in the summer, where you take 1 1/2 cups of ground coffee (we use Colombian, but you can use stronger or weaker) and mix it into a quart jar of cold water and let it steep for a day... Then you strain it (I use cheesecloth and strain it a couple of times to get rid of coffee "sludge" and put it back in the fridge. Makes about three cups, but two ounces of that and water is great coffee! Rich coffee taste, no bitterness!

      Delete
    3. Oh I bet he would like that! He is the one who has to have his caffeine and in an attempt to out law soda from the house we agreed he could make ice coffee.

      It is so nice to get to visit even from a distance! We have done that and it was much needed.

      Delete
  2. Missy, I'm sorry, but I got nothing. Well, it does look really cool and the process of the whipping is cool, but, well, it's coffee. Stuff like this is lost on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Mindy! Yeah, if you don't like coffee, this would NOT be the recipe for you. :)

      Delete
  3. Tex, I'll have yours!!!! And I bet we could do it with tea, don't you think???? Like a chai mix? Or iced tea mix? I bet it would work, but I can also bet I wouldn't be doing it by hand, LOL! Isn't that what Ninja bullets are for, darlings?????? :)

    Missy, I think this looks fun and tasty, and why did I never think of keeping Espresso powder (did I even know there was such a thing????) in my cupboard?

    What is wrong with me???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh tea would be great! So smart Ruthy :) then mix it in with some ice tea! Mmmmm

      Delete
    2. Ruthy, the espresso powder is good in brownies!

      Delete
    3. Interesting thoughts, Ruthy. I'll have to think on that.

      Delete
  4. I'm with Mindy on the coffee...

    But I do use tea in a chai-type drink from Trim Healthy Mama.

    Now, the question is, do I try this recipe with my Earl Grey tea? Attempt to mess with perfection?

    I'll let you know. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, if I made it with tea, I think I'd be tempted to just whip up cream and sugar to add to hot tea. :)

      Delete