Tuesday, November 3, 2020

'Tis the Season for Pumpkin Bread!

Yes, November is here and that means it's time for me to share my pumpkin bread recipe again. Making and gifting this bread has been a tradition at the Obi house for decades. And the smiles these little loaves bring to other people's faces is why we still do it today.

This bread is the perfect "little something" for teacher gifts, coworkers or maybe you just want to let someone know how much you appreciate them. Those types of gifts don't have to cost a lot to be special. Especially when they're made with love.

The best part about this bread is that you don't have to try to cram baking it into your busy holiday schedule. Instead, you can make it now. Matter of fact, it will be better if you make it now, because it's always better after it's been frozen.

This makes a very large batch, one that typically yields me 17-18 small loaves, but you can cut the recipe in half should you so desire. Of course, you can also make larger loaves. 

So here we go. You're gonna need A REALLY BIG BOWL. I have a commercial size one I use almost exclusively for this recipe. You can mix by hand or use an electric mixer. I usually start off using an electric hand mixer, then switch to a large spoon or spatula when I start adding the flour.

Here's what you'll need:

  • 2 1/4 cups (that's 4 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon molasses
  • 6 cups sugar
  • 12 eggs 
  • 2 cups orange juice 
  • 6 cups pumpkin puree (2 - 29 oz. cans)
  • 10 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 tablespoons baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon ground cloves
  • 3  cups raisins (regular or golden)
Cream butter, molasses, and sugar until light and fluffy. 
Beat in eggs, one at a time until well blended.
Add orange juice and pumpkin and mix well.
Whisk dry ingredients together into a large bowl and add to pumpkin mixture a little at a time, stirring well to thoroughly combine all elements. (I use my mixer as long as I can, but switch to a spoon as it thickens and, frankly, is too deep for the mixer to properly blend)
Now stir in your raisins.
Spoon into greased loaf pans and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour for large pans, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. For the smaller pans, check them after 35-40 minutes.

Cool in pans for 10 minutes.
Then turn out onto racks to cool. 

Once the loaves have cooled, wrap them in plastic wrap, then foil and store them in the freezer. They keep for months. Then, when it's time for gift giving, simply place the unwrapped bread (I leave the clear plastic wrap on) into a cellophane bag and tie with some burlap or a pretty ribbon.

Now who wouldn't want to receive this? (barring any food allergies, of course)

You can see the bits of golden raisins I used in this batch. Coupled with the cinnamon and cloves, this bread is a feast for the taste buds. And a tasty treat friends and family look forward to every year.

What are some your favorite "little something" gifts to give?

Award-winning author Mindy Obenhaus is passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. She lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, two sassy pups, countless cattle, deer and the occasional coyote, mountain lion or snake. When she's not writing, she enjoys spending time with her grandchildren, cooking and watching copious amounts of the Hallmark Channel. Learn more at mindyobenhaus.com

14 comments:

  1. I think by raisins you meant to say chocolate chips, eh?

    The mini ones work best. :) They don't sink.

    Mindy, this bread comes out so nicely. Thanks for sharing this again as a reminder... I love all things pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy I was thinking the same thing lol. Jacob doesn't like raisons. Honestly he might just eat it as pumpkin bread without the chocolate.

      Delete
    2. Raisins not raisons. Silly autocorrect.

      Delete
    3. Okay, if y'all want to ruin this amazing pumpkin bread recipe by adding chocolate chips to it, that's on you, Ruthy and Katie. Who started that trend anyway? Chocolate is appropriate 365 days of the year. Pumpkin gets a 2-3 month run so it should be allowed to stand on its own merit without chocolate trying to steal the limelight.

      Ruthy, I tried the pumpkin chocolate chip muffins and was not impressed. Chocolate pairs well with many things, but not pumpkin. Stepping off of my soapbox now. ;)

      Delete
    4. Ha -- I'm in for adding the chocolate chips too!

      Delete
  2. I love this recipe!

    I'll be making a batch of these for our neighbors this year. The BIG plus is that we have so few neighbors, so there will be plenty of leftovers for us! They do freeze very well!

    And I leave out both the raisins and the chocolate chips. Pumpkin purist here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Jan! I consider myself a pumpkin purist, too, but I still like the raisins. Though I have found that I like the golden raisins because they have a milder flavor. Still, I like that little burst of flavor. And yes, these freeze so well, which is why I almost always make them in early November.

      Delete
  3. I bet the orange juice brings something special to this recipe. I've never made pumpkin bread using OJ before. But this would be huge for me -- even if cut the recipe in half...Might have to see if could be quartered? I con't have a big enough bowl or more than two loaf pans but I'm going to try it some how.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have halved the recipe before, Kav, so I don't see why you couldn't quarter it. It'd just be an exercise in math. And yes, I think the OJ adds another dimension to the flavor. All I know is that this pumpkin bread is always a crowd pleaser. And having the frozen loaves is nice because you can always pull one out and slice it up for company or to go with your morning tea.

      Delete
  4. Mindy, I almost made this last year! But I ended up doing candy again. I might just make your recipe this year! I bought enough pans last year so I could do it in fewer batches. I'll be sure to let you know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, you should give it a go this year. You'll be glad you did. ;)

      Delete
  5. No baking here, but I did order pumpkin spice coffee cake from my favorite Grandma's of New England. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen those coffee cakes, Mary Cate. I bet it'll be awesome!

      Delete