Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Thanksgiving Leftovers

Like it or not, the holidays are upon us. And with Thanksgiving only two days away I thought I'd revisit a post from a few years back that offers a creative use for those leftovers. Let's take our standard turkey and dressing and turn it into turkey and waffles. Let's check it out.

So Thanksgiving is over, and if your house is anything like mine, you're still noshing on leftovers. But eating the same old same can get boring after a while, so why not do something a little different.

I saw this a while back on some cooking show and decided that I had to try it. We did and loved it. I haven't quite perfected it, though I think I know the problem.

We'll start with our dressing, or stuffing, if you prefer. If it goes into the bird, it's stuffing. If not, it's dressing. Whatever the case, it's one of my favorite dishes of the entire Thanksgiving feast.
Around here, we do your basic cornbread dressing, no fancy ingredients. Not that I haven't tried, but I seem get shot down every time. "Don't mess with tradition, Mom."

Okay, okay, I get the point.

Now we're going to scoop some of that beautiful dressing onto our HOT waffle iron that's been sprayed with Pam or some such product, and kinda sorta press it down just a little with our spoon.
Close the lid and press hard. Just long enough to compress things.
I had my waffle iron set between medium-high and high and it took about 5-6 minutes for the waffle to cook.
Crisp outside, moist inside. Though getting it off of the waffle iron was a bit tricky. I ended up picking up the iron and flipping the waffle over onto the plate.
Once you've plated your waffle, simply top with your favorite Thanksgiving leftovers.
Turkey, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, gravy... The one I saw on TV was stacked high with a little bit of everything.

Okay, so one key here is that you want moist dressing. And while I did achieve my waffle, I think, next time, I'll toss a beaten egg into my dressing before putting it on the waffle iron to keep things together a little better. 

I love this idea and can't wait for Friday to do it again. In the meantime, I'd like to wish each and every one of you a blessed Thanksgiving. I know this year has been far from the norm, but there's still much to be thankful for. God is good and He's still on His throne.

Do you have some creative ways with your Thanksgiving leftovers?

Award-winning author Mindy Obenhaus is passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. She lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, two sassy pups, countless cattle, deer and the occasional coyote, mountain lion or snake. When she's not writing, she enjoys spending time with her grandchildren, cooking and watching copious amounts of the Hallmark Channel. Learn more at mindyobenhaus.com

8 comments:

  1. I have never thought of this. What a wonderful idea! You get that slightly crispy outside and the tender inside... and I bet you're right, unless you want quarts of gravy (who doesn't????) a little extra egg and/or water would help. OH MY STARS, I love this! I'm usually sprinkling with water, covering and reheating in oven or microwave. But this gives us that "platter" look... and I love turkey and stuffing!!!!

    Thank you for your kind words, too, Mindy.

    We've got this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, when I saw the guy do this on TV I thought it was genius. Like it said, it mixes things up just a bit. And it really is delicious.

      Delete
  2. I'll have to try this - if we have any dressing left! But I'm making my usual "should feed twenty" batch, and we're only having nine people for the meal, so we should have leftovers this year. Maybe!

    I'll try adding the egg and maybe some extra water. And since I don't have a waffle iron, I'll have to do pancakes. We'll see if it works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I know what you mean. I cannot, for the life of me, make a small batch of dressing. Must be something in our DNA. ;)

      Delete
  3. I'll skip on the turkey leftovers but you guys are making me crave stuffing! I didn't make any for my Thanksgiving -- it was a low key affair and too hot anyways but now that we have had the snow and cold weather I think I'm going to have to mix up a batch of dressing just because. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Kav, the stuffing is definitely where it's at.

      Delete
  4. Mindy, this looks so good!! What a fun idea! And yes, I think an egg would help hold it together. I'll have to try this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a go, Missy, and let me know what you think.

      Delete