Friday, November 6, 2020

Misfits and Miscellaneous

 Missy Tippens

I recently found out that Misfits Market deliveries were finally available at our house. They sell fruits and vegetables that are rejected by grocery stores based on appearance (not quality), and offer them for reduced prices. I'd heard about it from Katie, Jan's daughter-in-law, and had wanted to try it. So I messaged Katie on Facebook and asked for a referral code, hoping to get her some credit. :)

We've had two shipments now, and I thought I'd share. Mostly because I love colorful photos of fruits and vegetables! haha I also have a new(ish) kitchen tool to share at the end.

In the box:


Spread out on the counter for a better look:


In the box:


Spread on the counter to admire it and take photos for the blog. haha


I also bought some extras--blueberries and sage.


I'm hoping this will encourage more fruit and vegetable eating in our house, and more creative recipes.

As for the miscellaneous, my "new" kitchen tool...

I LOVE my kitchen shears. But one of my pairs finally broke after using them for maybe a decade. One of the problems I always had with them was getting them clean after cutting meats. So when I went to shop for a new pair, and they offered some that come apart, I was sold! Plus, I went for a two-pack this time and have been very glad of it.


You just open them wide, and lift the blades apart.


Tada! So easy to wash in the dishwasher after cutting chicken. I'm loving these!

7 comments:

  1. Yay! I can't wait to hear what you make with your boxes. For us it has encouraged more fruits and vegetables. Oh and different kinds too. Stir fry is on our menu tomorrow with stuff from our last couple boxes.

    I feel like you can never have enough kitchen shears. Or scissors for that matter. So 2 packs are the way to go. Yay for coming apart! As long as they hold firm when you are using them too and don't slip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, I worried about that. But the reviews were good, so I took the chance. :)

      Delete
  2. Missy, that produce looks so pretty. Love the colors. And you will love those new kitchen shears. I've had a pair of Cutco kitchen shears for years and I love being able to take them apart and put them in the dishwasher so they not only get cleaned but disinfected. Well worth the investment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how I'd missed out on this take-apart feature for so long! haha

      Delete
  3. I'd love for Misfits to come to our area. Maybe next year?

    And yes. Kitchen shears are a MUST! My pair is at least 30 years old, and I should probably replace them. But I'm spoiled. They are professional quality (hubby got them as a gift from a salesman back when they still did that kind of thing) and they still work so well that I can't justify spending the money.

    They might even outlast me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I bet you've had access to some cool kitchen items from your husband's work!

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of Misfits it sounds like the Island of Lost Toys only for fruits and veggies. :-) Great marketing concept and just goes to show you how privileged we are -- the idea of rejecting a veggie because of a blemish! Makes me wonder what they did with them before now. I'm afraid it was all thrown away which would be awful. Just checked and we don't have anything similar in Canada. :-(

    And those shears are super cool. (Psst, I didn't know there was such a thing as kitchen shears, I've always used plain ol' scissors when the need arose.)

    ReplyDelete