Thursday, November 12, 2020

Christkindl at the Farm: All hands on deck

 We are hosting an outdoor Christkindl market this weekend to benefit the Sisters of St. Joseph. You've probably heard my story of how the sisters have inspired me for decades, from the time I was a bedwetting little girl from a very sad house to the wonderful mentors they were to my children at St. Lawrence School in the town next to ours. For years we've donated things to their annual Christmas sale, a fun gathering of people at the motherhouse which also houses a nursing home facility for aged nuns. This year, there is no sale. The motherhouse has been on lock-down for 8 months to protect the elderly sisters from Covid 19 but when we realized we were thwarted in one way, we invented another.

A market, held right here at the farm! 

So this Saturday from 10 until 3, we've invited a handful of vendors to come and be part of the market... and farm sales will go to the good Sisters of St. Joseph.  Now, don't get odded out about this first pic: It's actually Xavier coating chicken for our supper a few days ago, and he was so proud of his efforts! We were making our version of "Popeye" chicken, coated in cajun-seasoned crushed cornflakes. We aren't serving that on Saturday... :) But I had to give this nine-year-old a shout out. 


We've got over 60 jars of jam to sell this weekend: Sour Cherry, Triple Berry, Strawberry Rhubarb, Strawberry and a New One!!!!! BUMBLEBERRY! Today I'll put cute bows on top of the jars and we've got cord-handled bags to tuck them into, an instant Christmas gift that tastes good, too! 




The trees have finally dropped their leaves.... and we put the kids on leaf clean up because the trees surround the "horseshoe area" (a semi-circular driveway designates the horseshoe) and with all of our maples, locusts and catalpa trees, leaves are a reality! 





When I used to go to NYC on a regular basis, I loved to stumble (or seek out, let's be honest here) "Nuts 4 Nuts", street vendors who had little wagons where they made sugared nuts. Now that I can make sugared nuts at home (I've graduated from a double batch in a slow cooker, to a quadruple batch, 3 lbs. of nuts, in my 22 quart electric roaster.... 

Then Zach filled the 1 cup snack bags.... Beth found these cute stocking online through The Dollar Tree so I ordered a case... and The Mighty Finn slipped a bag of nuts into each stocking. For $6, folks can get an absolutely adorable homemade gift of deliciousness! And the stockings become ornaments! 




This is my lame attempt at being creative. I botched Mr. Snowman's cheek, so I had to white it out and have to re-draw his cheek line.... but how cute are these guys?




Nuts in egg white foam, the first step toward deliciousness. 



Mandy has been crazy busy making little wood round ornaments that we're selling for $3 or 2/$5... 



How about a gathering of Spindle Snowmen? 



A Cactus Rock Choir????? So much easier to grow than little cacti, these are hand-painted rocks spreading Good News of a baby king! 


And Gnome Roam! These gnomes, made from the tops of pickets from roadside fencing discards, are hidden all around the farmyard and the kids will go off, hunting for the elf-like fellows as well as fairy house hunts... with fairy houses sporting bits of Christmas cheer now! (Totally Mandy!)



So that's what we've been doing the past two weeks... I'm in charge of baking and jam making. The jam, as you see, is done.... and I start the baking later today. 

We'll have a hot chocolate and hot cider booth.... (well, a table, actually!) half-a-dozen tents set up (but no rain in the forecast, so we're happy about that!) and hopefully a good time had by all.

And yeah, we're already making plans and setting things in place for next year. Crushed stone for the parking lot area is coming today from our excavator friends the Crowleys and a new big shed will arrive late winter to be an inviting backdrop for our pumpkin displays next year...

And we need to come up with donuts because a fall farm should have fried cakes, but that will be a winter project. Right now?

We're looking forward to Saturday's event and to helping a group of women who sacrificed their lives in the service of others. Every time I watch "Call the Midwife" I'm reminded of all the wonderful women who've given so much to make the world a better place.

Wishing you all a great November weekend!



Multi-published author Ruth Logan Herne also owns a pumpkin farm in WNY... so she writes sweet stories in the dark of night and helps on the farm in the light of day. She is blessed to have the best of both worlds! Friend her on Facebook, visit her website ruthloganherne.com or email her at loganherne@gmail.com. She loves to hear from readers and other writers!

7 comments:

  1. I love this! More fun at the farm. Soon you'll be branching into sleigh rides and Christmas tree sales. Or not. And the nuts! I need to do those this year. Love the stocking idea, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. It should be a lot of fun, Mindy.... and I love those sweet Sisters!!!!!!

      Delete
  2. I hope you have people overflowing into the fields for this event! What a great cause, too. My husband once worked at a college that was connected to a home for the Sister of St. Joseph. Those darlings ladies were so happy to welcome our first born into their family circle, and I still cherish the afghan one of them gave him.

    And Mindy's right - more fun at the farm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Jan, what a beautiful story. The hearts of good women are amazing things! Thank you for sharing that!

      Delete
  3. Ohhhhhh -- this sounds amazing! My daughter's school used to do a Christkindel fair every November with the same kind of down home country charm. I remember making a zillion angels out of those old wooden clothespin -- you know, the round ones without any moving parts? Especially love your spindle snowmen and picket gnomes! What a brilliant idea! I'm in awe, Ruthy! Praying blessings on your event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Kavalicious! I'm not responsible for any of those. That's all Mandy... But I am in charge of book writing and 5th grade and baking. :) I love that she's able to take these clever ideas and recreate them! YAY!!!!

      Delete
  4. Ruthy, I love your adorable crafts!! And I'd sure love some of those sugared nuts too. What a fun day! I hope you have perfect weather and great sales for the nuns!

    ReplyDelete