Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Staying Healthy and Strange Things at the Ranch

November is one of my favorite times here in Texas. Yes, spring is lovely with the wildflowers, but after a long, hot summer, the cooler temperatures are such a welcome reprieve that you just want to be outside. For those of you in the north who look forward to spring after a long winter, that's how fall is for us. But lately, I've been noticing some strange things.

Our Mexican Heather is still in full bloom, which isn't so strange, but seeing it covered in honey bees is. For the past month, it has been inundated. You go out on the patio and you hear the low hum of the bees. It's kind of cool and creepy at the same time. But as long as they leave me alone, they're welcome to hang around.

And then the other day I was sitting in my thinking chair in my office when I saw something white on the magnolia tree outside. As in a flower. But magnolias bloom in the spring. So I went to investigate.
Some new shoots had grown out of the trunk and, apparently, they didn't realize it's November.
I'm surprised the bees hadn't found that.

Meanwhile, in the kitchen, we've been trying to keep things on the lighter side. Or at least low-carb. And since hubby is convinced that he loses a pound every time we have salmon for dinner, we've been eating it once or twice a week. And my favorite side for salmon is asparagus.
There are so many good things about this meal. Not only does it help our waistlines, but because it's all cooked on the grill, there's almost no cleanup. However, if you don't have a grill, you can roast them in a 400 degree oven.

The asparagus is so simple. Just rinse and trim your spears. Put them in a lidded container and drizzle with some olive oil.
Then add some lemon pepper, which is the same seasoning I use on my salmon so they pair perfectly.
Put the lid on and tossed everything. Then throw it on the grill either while the salmon is cooking or afterward. Depending on the thickness of the stalks, it takes 3-5 minutes per side. You want them tender, but not completely limp. And a little bit of color is nice, too.
This is a perfect pairing all the way around. And since our eating will soon lapse into the indulgent category for a brief time, healthy and waist-trimming is a very good thing.

What strange things are going on where you are?

Award-winning author Mindy Obenhaus is passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. She lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, two sassy pups, countless cattle, deer and the occasional coyote, mountain lion or snake. When she's not writing, she enjoys spending time with her grandchildren, cooking and watching copious amounts of the Hallmark Channel. Learn more at mindyobenhaus.com

7 comments:

  1. A little sign of magnolia hope! I love it! And that salmon looks so good. The pairing with grilled asparagus is lovely.

    And I started watching Christmas in Vienna yesterday... oh my stars, the funny reparte (like normal people!) grabbed me. It's so much more natural. Well done, Hallmark!

    And know what I noticed? I don't think I have ever used the label 'healthy eating' or 'eating healthy' in a post.

    That says so much about me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, I watched that movie, too! I loved the interplay between the characters. And the setting was beautiful. I'm all about Christmas movies these days. Makes for a nice relaxing evening.

      Delete
  2. Mindy, our magnolia tree had one lone bloom a week or two ago! And my gardenia bush did as well. One lone bloom on each! So odd.

    Thanks for the idea of lemon pepper on salmon and asparagus! I cook these often but always use either plain salt and pepper or seasoning salt. Lemon pepper sounds perfect for both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, sometimes nature is just weird. Like humans, it occasionally goes against the grain. And yes, the lemon pepper is perfect. Well, at least IMHO. ;)

      Delete
  3. That meal looks so delicious! Hubby won't like it (he doesn't eat either asparagus or salmon,) so I'll just have to fix it for myself.

    I'm a bit jealous of your flowers, though! Even if they are blooming at a strange time, they're beautiful. We're enjoying a different kind of beauty here - November browns and stark branches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I'm surprised those plants still have so many flowers when most everything else has faded. I guess that's why the bees are so partial to them.

      Your November browns will soon be covered with white and you'll peer out the window at a winter wonderland. What a lovely sight that will be.

      Delete