Monday, November 16, 2020

Tasty Ways to Boost Your Immune System

Jan here, bringing news that is news to nobody! 

We're in the middle of a viral event, compounded by the annual flu and cold season.  No matter which virus is headed your way, it just makes sense to be prepared - both in keeping easy-to-heat-up-if-we're-under-the-weather soups on hand, and keeping our immune system in tip-top shape.

I shared these recipes a few years ago, and I thought now would be a good time to repeat them!

One thing, though. In this post, I talk about lactose-intolerance - a condition I had resigned myself to live with at that time. But I don't worry about it now. Why? I found that by slowly introducing dairy back into my diet, I was able to teach my body to digest it properly again. That experience makes me wonder if that method would help with other dietary sensitivities (not dietary allergies - that's a whole different ball game!) But since I don't have other sensitivities, I haven't been able to test my theory.

Anyway, here are some yummy treats that will make you WANT to boost your immune system!

*    *    *    *    *    *

An Orange Smoothie for Cold and Flu Season

 Yes, it's here. Flu season.



It's that time of year when the sun hangs low in the southern sky and the cold temps make most of us want to stay inside.

Jan here, with some tips on how to avoid catching the flu...or to lessen its impact on your life.

1) Get your flu shot.

No, it isn't too late. And no, I haven't gotten mine yet. (And yes, I had the flu over Christmas!)

Ever since a younger, fitter, and healthier acquaintance died of complications from the flu a few years ago, I vowed I would get my flu shot every year. This year? I kept putting it off. Now that I'm finally healthy again, I'll be getting my flu shot this week.

I've heard (from reliable sources) that even if you catch the flu after getting a shot, your experience with the virus will be much less serious than if you hadn't gotten the shot. My hubby is the perfect example. He got his shot in the fall, but then came down with the flu in December...and he didn't even realize what he had until I came down with the same symptoms a week later, but more severe and longer lasting. He felt better after a few days. It took me nearly two weeks to feel like I could put two sentences together!


2) Wash your hands.

Your mom was right. Washing your hands is the best way to protect yourself from being infected with a virus like the flu.


3) Get enough rest.

Your immune system needs to be in tip-top shape, and sleep is number one in keeping it there.


4) Eat well to keep that immune system revved.

Orange juice anyone? How about a smoothie?


And here's where today's recipe comes in!

Just over a year ago, I shared a drink recipe that I love - my Winter Sunshine drink! Check out the recipe here: Jan's Winter Sunshine



I love this drink, but sometimes I want something a little...sweeter?...ice creamier?...filling?

This smoothie answers all of those cravings. I'm going to give you two separate recipes. One for normal folks, and one for those with some restrictions on their diet (voluntary or otherwise.)

Orange Julius-Style Smoothie

This recipe is for those who have no dietary restrictions. It was a favorite with my children when they were younger!

1 6-oz can frozen orange juice
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
10-12 ice cubes

Blend the first four ingredients in a blender. Add the ice cubes 2 or 3 at a time until well blended. Drink right away, or freeze and eat as sherbet.

{Update: I forgot to say that this makes about four servings. I'm sure some you were shuddering at the thought of 1/2 cup sugar in one serving!}

Easy-peasy, right?

Unless you want to avoid sugar and happen to be lactose-intolerant (a recent development...I blame age). Then, this smoothie is for you:

Orange Dreamsicle Smoothie

The original recipe for this is in the Trim Healthy Mama cookbook, but it calls for cottage cheese. The only dairy I can eat is yogurt, so I substituted a couple things, and came up with this delicious, protein-rich smoothie.



1 medium, or 2 small oranges, peeled and seeded
1/2 cup unsweetened almond or cashew milk
1/2 cup unsweetened plain Greek yogurt
3/4 teaspoon orange extract
3 teaspoons stevia/erithrytol blend (like Truvia)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Vitamin C powder
2 Tablespoons integral collagen, or 1 scoop whey protein powder
1 1/2 - 2 cups ice cubes

In a blender, blend the orange slices and almond milk until the orange is completely blended. Add the yogurt, orange extract, sweetener, salt, Vitamin C powder, and collagen (not the whey protein powder).

Blend until smooth.

Add the ice cubes, 2-3 at a time (or if you have a powerful blender like a Ninja or Vitamix, add them all at once) and blend until smooth.

If you use whey protein powder, add it now, and blend for an additional 10 seconds.

Pour it into a large glass (I use a 1 quart canning jar) and enjoy!



*    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *

Back to 2020! I hope you're all weathering the storm our country (and world) is going through right now. 

With Thanksgiving and Christmas approaching, it's important to remember to celebrate those holidays, even if the crowd around the table is smaller this year. There is a reason for both holidays beyond big meals and get-togethers, and I plan to let my Thanksgiving to God for His provisions and my celebration of Christ's birth take center stage this year. No matter what else is happening.

Next week we celebrate Thanksgiving! Are you ready?





Jan Drexler lives in the Black Hills of South Dakota with her husband and growing family. When she isn't writing, she loves hiking in the Hills or satisfying her cross stitch addiction.


You can find Jan on Facebook, Jan Drexler, author, or her website, Jan Drexler.com.

6 comments:

  1. Happy Monday and welcome to the Cafe!

    We have plenty of coffee, tea, and donuts from Jerry's Cakes and Donuts in the Black Hills. Help yourself to the virtual treats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan, I need to try this orange version. First, I need to get some plain yogurt. I still do a strawberry big- boy smoothie every morning and add the Boabab powder for the Vitamin C boost. And I always use both the whey protein and the integral collagen just because I do weight training in the morning, so my muscles need the extra protein. But oranges and yogurt are going on my grocery list because I can't wait to shake things up bit. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the strawberry big-boy! I need to make one soon. Maybe for my snack this afternoon!

      Weight training? Go, Mindy!

      My weight is 50 pounds at the end of a leash these days. Sam is getting better at not pulling, but when he sees a deer running...boy howdy!

      Delete
  3. I am enjoying the virtual treats! Thank you for hosting, Jan! :)

    I know that I'm the worst at focusing on healthy unless Diet Mtn Dew qualifies, so I'm excited to see both versions. Beth made smoothies for us all summer. It was like a meal when it was so hot, working outside, pretending we didn't mind... and she'd show up with six or eight ounces of a fruity-blend smoothie and it was so good!

    Jan, I like this reminder that smoothies can be a year-round treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing like a smoothie on a hot day! Good for Beth!

      Delete
  4. Jan, I somehow missed your post yesterday. Was very distracted. Thanks for re-sharing these! I need to buy some oranges and a few other ingredients next time I shop. They sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete