Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Summertime at the Ranch

It's hot here on the coastal plains of Texas. Humid, too, and that's never a good mix. Matter of fact, it usually makes me want to stay inside where there's air conditioning to counter the elements. But even when it's hotter'n blue blazes you sometimes need to escape and take a little walk. And when you're wandering through the woods, you never know what you might encounter. I was just as surprised to see this gal as she was to see me.

And this cow looked as though she'd been caught with her hoof in the cookie jar.
While this mama and calf were trying to stay cool.
My wandering companions decided they needed to go for a swim, too.
Fortunately, they were not with me when I stumbled upon these two.
One of the things I appreciate most about living in the woods is that I can enjoy nature even when I'm working. This cardinal was tucked in the crepe myrtle right outside my office window, chattering up a storm. We have lots of cardinals in our area and they're always a joy to watch. 
What's lurking outside your window?

Award-winning author Mindy Obenhaus is passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. She lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, one sassy pup, countless cattle, deer and the occasional coyote, mountain lion or snake. When she's not writing, she enjoys spending time with her grandchildren, cooking and watching copious amounts of the Hallmark Channel. Learn more at mindyobenhaus.com

10 comments:

  1. You know I'm a wimp in the heat, but this is gorgeous, Mindy! And those fawns.... so sweet! (Not on a veggie farm, mind you, they can eat a row of baby corn in a heartbeat/one evening) but I do appreciate their beauty!!!!!

    Lovely stuff.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, it takes a lot to lure me into the heat, too. And I know you have a love/hate relationship with deer. If only they'd leave your corn alone and simply let you enjoy their beauty.

      Delete
  2. Oh city living deprives of beautiful things! You have some good walking partners too. I saw one cardinal just once. Then I think the squirrels ran them off. I'm embracing the squirrels though and decided to feed them. Have not seen them lately though. So we will see. Maybe they moved out of their nests outside our balcony? I'm sure someone will appreciate the peanuts and corn left in the feeder. Not nearly as neat as your walk! You almost have your own little nature preserve 😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, it was amazing that my littlest walking partner didn't scare off the animals before I managed a picture. He tends to be a little bossy. Though we have one calf that is just as curious about him as he is of the calf and the two of them with get nose to nose. At least until the calf moves, then it's Marvel who jumps and runs away. He's such a mess.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful pictures, Mindy!

    I have a suet feeder outside my window and in the summer I fill it with meal worm cakes. The bluebirds and nuthatches love them! In the winter, the nuthatches and chickadees are most numerous. But the spring and summer migration are the most fun. Who knows what will be passing by on any given day?

    No cardinals, though. We're too far north, west, and up. Some people in Rapid Valley (just south of the air force base) see them occasionally, but never where we are.

    We also have deer. The fawns are so much fun to watch, and they're so curious. The older fawns will approach the dogs just like you described the calf...until mama steps in. We have to be careful of the mamas - they've been known to kill dogs who get too close!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I wish our fawns were that curious. And I like watching the birds. Of course, you know I love my hummingbirds, but I enjoy the cardinals, too. I saw a mama and daddy teaching their baby to fly a couple of weeks ago. It was fun watching them move around the house much the way the wrens did. Except the baby cardinal never clung to the side of the house.

      Delete
  4. I like these pictures better than some you have posted (snakes). LOL! I watch the cardinals in the crape myrtles out my kitchen window too, but no deer unfortunately. I did see a bunny this morning though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! No snakes this time, Linda. The cardinals are fun to watch, though. I always see the male and female working together, whether it's building their nest or teaching their babies to fly. Talk about a good example.

      Delete
  5. I'm also so very grateful that no snakes were included on this critter stroll! :-) So I'm not quite city centre but close enough but we still get a selection of wildlife. Raccoons, skunks, ground hogs, bunnies!!!! even the odd fox and coyote.

    My garden has really come into it's own and, besides the bunnies who think I'm providing an all you can eat buffet, it's squirrel central here. And even the usually shy chipmunks are lounging under big leafed plants for some zzzzs in the shade. I think everybody is lovin' the fact that I water my garden regularly.

    We have cardinals too -- isn't that amazing, that they can thrive in your heat and over winter here too? And I'm seeing a lot of little yellow birds I've never seen before -- canary yellow bodies with brownish black wings and markings on their head...I think...they move so fast it's all a blur. Oh -- and city girl newsflash -- I have lightning bugs in my garden!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, who doesn't like lightning bugs? They are so fun. Sounds like you have your own little wildlife habitat. I'm laughing about the bunny buffet, however the skunks are definitely not welcome. ;)

      Delete