Friday, July 31, 2020

Caramelized Chicken Over Rice

Missy Tippens


Well, it's been a crazy week. I've had a family member in the hospital due to a fall, and even though I haven't been able to visit because of Covid regulations, it's made for a chaotic week anyway.

So I'm very thankful for the Dinnerly meals! I wanted to share a little about one that I made that we loved.

I'm not sharing the whole recipe because it's a paid service, and I don't feel like I'd be allowed to share. But I thought I'd tell you about the sauce, which was very unusual.

First, I cooked the snow peas. Then the chicken. I set those aside and used the skillet to make the caramel sauce. Yes, caramel!


Side note:  How do you pronounce that? I say car'-mul (two syllables). :) I was born in the mountains of eastern Kentucky and raised in the southwestern part of the state.



Okay, back to the recipe. You just make a basic caramel using sugar and water (swirling, not stirring). Once it starts to turn amber, add tamari soy sauce and 1 tbs. white wine vinegar. Be prepared: it will foam like crazy just like when you add cream to caramel.

Once it has thickened, add back in the chicken and snow peas. We served it over rice. It was delicious!! A little sweet. A little salty. Such a perfect combination. :)


Have y'all ever used caramel in a savory dish like this? And please tell me how you pronounce caramel and where you're from. I love to hear the differences!


14 comments:

  1. I love sweet and salty things.... and this sounds so good. And I love rice dishes. So this is a win for The Yank!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, it's an interesting combo! But I've always loved Asian dishes that have a little sweetness to them--like Mongolian beef.

      Delete
  2. By the way, that caramel is NOT burned!! That's the soy sauce that made it so dark. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I spent way too much time thinking about this, but the result is, I say Cara- mel (NY born and bred) when I'm using it as a noun like I ate too many cara-mels. But, I'm I'm using it as an adjective, I leave out the a sound and just say carmel icecream or carmel sauce. So I would probably call this delicious looking feast, carmel chicken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Mary Cate! So you have TWO versions of pronunciation. :)

      Delete
    2. So is your first syllable said as "care"?? Or is it like mine, said like "car" (as in a vehicle)?

      Delete
    3. Like car if I'm dropping the a. More like the ca sound in cat if I'm using the a.

      Funny thing is, I never realized I said it two different ways.

      Delete
  4. I pronounce caramel like you do, Missy - but my first five years were spent in southern Ohio, close enough to Kentucky for some of the pronunciations to be the same!

    I'm intrigued by this sauce. Savory caramel...it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jan! I was born in a town right on the Ohio River. So I'm sure it's similar.

      Delete
  5. This sounds so good! Minus the peas. I think I'd make a veg on the side. Prayers for your family member in the hospital!

    I state car-mel.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, this was more like a stir-fry so had the veggie mixed in. But a side dish would be good as well!

      Where did you grow up?

      Thanks for the prayers! She's supposed to be released right about now. :)

      Delete
    2. Good old South Dakota 😊 I think my words can sound different at time though. I have worked call centers for so long you pick up on different things. If I talk to someone from the South for too long I start to sound like a southerner lol.

      Delete
    3. Katie, me too! I'm always afraid people will think I'm mocking them, but it's an unconscious thing.

      Delete