Friday, July 10, 2020

Salvaging a Kitchen Fail (Chicken Salad Edition)

Missy Tippens


Well, I've done it again. Another kitchen fail. Please don't feel as if you have to act surprised. This happens all too often and we all know it. LOL

This time around, I made chicken salad from the chicken I had bought at the farmer's market. It was pre-roasted and came cubed and frozen. I made a big batch of chicken salad from the chicken using what I had on hand: mayonnaise and dried cranberries (that I reconstituted for a little while to plump them up). I tasted it once and then added more mayonnaise. But it was so dry I could hardly choke it down while eating it on top of salad greens. I was so disappointed!

That huge container of the leftovers sat in the fridge for a couple of days. I could not get anyone to eat it. (I wonder why!)

So the next evening, needing to figure out something for dinner, I decided to try to salvage it. I was determined to make it into a casserole.

I thought back to an old recipe I used to make that called for a small, whole chicken (boiled and pulled off the bones), can of cream of chicken soup and a small container of sour cream. I loved that casserole! So I went searching. I came up with cream of mushroom soup and a small amount of sour cream (not nearly a whole container). I did not have any Club or Ritz crackers to use for the topping. Then it hit me: I have cranberries in here! I can play that up, almost Thanksgiving-like.

So I found I did have a bag of Pepperidge Farms herb stuffing cubes. And since I didn't have as much sour cream as needed, I decided to use some buttermilk. I figured I could use the extra moisture anyway! haha

I mixed the chicken salad with the sour cream, buttermilk and cream of mushroom soup (undiluted).


Then I topped the casserole with the herb stuffing mix, which I had ground into crumbs, and drizzled a half stick of melted butter over top it to moisten the crumbs (the old recipe called for a full stick, but I didn't think we needed it).


Then I baked at 350 for about 40 minutes. It actually started browning a little too quickly, so I put foil over it until the end.

Y'all, this was SO GOOD. My family loved it! They were fighting over who would get to take the leftovers to work for lunch. haha

A big save for me!

So next time you make something that is a total flop, consider making it into a casserole. Sour cream and butter can make just about anything taste good.  :)


12 comments:

  1. This was a brilliant save, Missy! I love it when we can turn a disappointing dish around like that--yay for your creative mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laurel! I was so relieved not to waste all that chicken. :)

      Delete
  2. I was reading along in fascination, Missy, and suddenly I remembered that you said it was a fail, so I was sad that the casserole was the fail. But then it wasn't. It was SO GOOD. See, a whole suspense plot woven in here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my stars, this is brilliant.... and yes, sour cream, butter and soup for the win!!!!

    I love when I can salvage things because the guilt at wasting is real!!!!

    Well done, my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruthy! Yeah, I was very relieved. And got such a kick out of hubby and daughter fighting over the leftovers. :)

      Delete
  4. I don't see this as a fail! This is a good total win. At least you didn't make salmon cakes and end up making it so dry they were inedible. With a fresh salmon 🤦 I did and it was not good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, I'm sorry about your salmon cakes!! And yeah, canned salmon is best for those. I grew up mixing the canned fish with an egg and crumbled saltines. Then sautéing in a pan. So yummy!

      Delete
    2. Katie, you found out the hard way... and I agree with Missy, the canned salmon has more moisture content.... And I'm so excited for your whole family today!!!!!

      Delete
    3. I was following a recipe for the new diet we are supposed to be trying. :( It's all good though! Have to learn right?

      Delete