Monday, July 13, 2020

Coconut Custard Pie - So Easy!

Jan here, with another favorite summer recipe!

This one is a rerun from BEFORE - before Carrie and Josh's wedding, before Jacob and Katie's wedding, before our long-awaited move into the Hills, and before Benjamin and Heather's wedding (Squee! That one was only two days ago!)

I do miss the days when the adult children were all living at home, but we knew at the time that when they started moving out, it would happen quickly - and it did! Between June 2016 and July 2019 all four of them flew the nest. If you're counting weddings and children, you're right - one son is not yet married. :-)

But back in those days, my kitchen was well-used and desserts were made much more often. It works out better when there are more people to help eat the goodies. Just sayin'!


Coconut Custard Pie

Ingredients: 

2 cups milk
2 1/2 cups flaked coconut
4 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup all purpose flour (or bisquick)
3/4 cup white sugar
2 Tablespoons butter, softened

Now, here's the hard part (just kidding).

Mix all the ingredients together and pour into a 9 inch greased pie plate.



Bake for 50-60 minutes at 350°, or until golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.


This is one of those pies that makes its own crust, kind of like a clafouti, or those "impossible Bisquick" pies that were so popular years ago.



*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

Back to 2020!

This pie was SO delicious that I still remember that flavor, even seven years later. I'm going to have to make this one again.

But not today! As of this writing, my husband and I are planning to drive slowly home from Benjamin and Heather's wedding, making two stops in towns that I've been longing to visit nearly my entire life!

I had many favorite authors when I was a child. Being a book-girl, I devoured stories by Beverly Cleary, Marguerite Henry, L.M. Montgomery, E.B. White, Mary O'Hara, Lois Lenski, Beatrix Potter, Jim Kjelgaard, Carolyn Haywood... I could go on for an entire blog post! Two other authors belong in that list - Laura Ingalls Wilder and Maud Hart Lovelace. 

If things go as planned, we will have spent yesterday afternoon in Mankato, Minnesota (aka "Deep Valley" from Maud Hart Lovelace's books,) and today in De Smet, South Dakota, where several of Laura Ingalls Wilder's books took place. The ten-year-old inside me is thrilled!

I'll share pictures next week!


Jan Drexler is an author by day who is addicted to counted cross stitch and sauntering through the Hills with her dear husband and their puppies - goofy corgi Jack and growing-fast border collie Sam. You can find Jan's books and other fun things on her website: www.JanDrexler.com.




10 comments:

  1. Jan, this sounds wonderful!! I hope you're enjoying your trip home.

    Congrats to you and Erica on the wonderful marriage of your kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Missy! We are home now, and happy to be here. There really is no place like home, is there?

      But we had a great time. The wedding was wonderful, the company fabulous, and the trip mostly worry-free. What more can we ask?

      Delete
  2. My husband loved coconut custard pie, Jan. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This recipe gains points in the easy category. I almost feel like I have no excuse not to make it!

      Delete
  3. Testing testing. changing my settings in Chrome to get it to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If anyone is having trouble on Chrome, try updating it. That worked for me!

      Delete
    2. Also testing. I had to turn Javascript on.

      Delete
  4. Jan, I loved, loved, loved coconut custard pie when I was growing up. Yet I haven't made it in forever. Must remedy that and this is the perfect version because I don't have to worry about a crust. Score!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd forgotten this, too... and must try it again. Jan, enjoy your visits to Laura's stops!!!!! What a treat!

    ReplyDelete