Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Revisiting Summer Salads

I don't know what the weather's like where you live, but it's hot here in Texas. So today we're going to revisit a couple of my favorite cool and refreshing summer salads.

First is Cucumber and Onion Salad. As soon as the weather turns warm, my husband starts asking for this. And I always have to add extra onion just for him.

Start by peeling and thinly slicing a cucumber or two. 
Put them into a bowl, then slice some onion, add that to the cucumbers and toss everything together.
Next, in a 2 - 4 cup measuring cup or medium bowl, mix 2 cups water, 1 cup vinegar, 1/4 - 1/2 tsp black pepper and sugar to taste. I usually add about a tablespoon, but you can start with 1 tsp and go up from there until you reach the desired amount of sweetness. For me, I'm simply looking to take the edge off of vinegar, not anything really sweet. Stir until dissolved and pour over onion/cucumber mixture.
Allow to sit for at least an hour before serving.

Avocado and Tomato Balsamic Salad is quickly becoming one of my go-to sides. I can whip it up in a flash and it's so delicious and healthy that I've been known to make a meal of this alone.

Simply cube the avocado and some tomatoes into a bowl. I prefer the flavor of grape tomatoes, so I just halve them. 
Then drizzle a little bit of olive oil over that, add several shakes of balsamic vinegar and a pinch of salt.
Gently toss everything to coat and that's it. You're ready to go. 
Fresh veggies and fruits are part of the beauty of summer. And while we can get many of these items year-round, they just taste better in the summer when they're fresh and, often, locally grown. 
What are some of your favorite summer salads/veggies?



Award-winning author Mindy Obenhaus is passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. She lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, one sassy pup, countless cattle, deer and the occasional coyote, mountain lion or snake. When she's not writing, she enjoys spending time with her grandchildren, cooking and watching copious amounts of the Hallmark Channel. Learn more at mindyobenhaus.com


6 comments:

  1. Yum, just what I need for these hot summer days. We're breaking records for heat and dryness. I'm getting up at five so I can get a bit of a walk in and major garden watering before it gets super humid hot by 7...A.M.!!!!! The heat has been relentless and supposed to continue on through all of July. Ugh. It's so bad I tried to source out an air conditioner rental but there aren't any to be had. I need one of your cool salads now, please. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, sounds like it's either feast or famine when it comes to your heat. I feel your pain. So yes, have yourself a nice cool salad. And then keep a fan and some cool cloths nearby. ;)

      Delete
  2. Mindy, these look so good!! I've been making cucumbers and adding olive oil, vinegar and a pinch of salt and sugar. So good! I also like it with tomatoes. And when no kids are around, I plan to add Vidalia onions. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, kids never like the onions, do they, Missy? But I have to add extra for my husband because he'll eat the kids' share and then some.

      Delete
  3. That top one reminds me of how I used to make pickles many (MANY) years ago.

    I vote for the avocado and tomato one though. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete