Friday, July 17, 2020

Freezing Peaches Part 2

Hey, everyone! I hope you're all staying well.

A couple of weeks ago when I got the huge box of peaches at the traveling farmer's market, I asked for suggestions on how to freeze them. I thought I'd share what I ended up doing!

First, I blanched the peaches so the skin would peel off easily. It was like magic!

I scored the bottom of each peach in a criss-cross pattern. Then I dipped the peaches several at a time into boiling water and allowed them to stay there for 15 seconds.


Tada!! You can see that the peach on the top right (above) is just begging to be peeled. :) You can see the ones below that have already slipped right out of the fuzzy skin (which, personally, I don't like!).


Once peeled, I cut them into wedges. Then I tossed them with freshly-squeezed lemon juice. I used the juice of one lemon for every 10 peaches.

For one batch, I put them directly on a baking sheet in a single layer and froze them so they'd stay separate in the freezer bag. We're taking these out of the bag by the handful and using them for cereal and smoothies and oatmeal.


For the rest of them, I added a little sugar to help pull some of the juice out. Once they'd sat for just a bit and gotten juicy, I put them in freezer bags and laid the bags flat until they were totally frozen. When we use these, we'll have to thaw the whole bag and use all at once.

I'm glad to have used both methods! We should be able to have fresh peaches for the next few months.

And just for fun... Around the time I froze the peaches, we were babysitting the grand dog, who had an injured ear (he tangled with a cat that got in his yard!). Here he was dressed up for the 4th of July. :)


I hope you all have a great weekend.


7 comments:

  1. Mmmm peaches! I have been getting them from Sams club. I have gotten some in our produce box too. Not only do they taste good on their own they taste good put in things like the spicy sweet and sour I made. Ok so I just threw things in a pot and called it what I thought it tasted like lol. Jacob said it wasn't a true sweet and sour.

    Poor grand puppy. Never squabble with a kitty! They almost always win. Is he scared of them now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, I don't know if he's wary now or not. My son hasn't mentioned anything, however I don't think he's usually around cats. But maybe when he sees one again, he'll remember and not chase this time!

      Delete
  2. I love putting up food. It makes me feel safe and good to have a pantry and a freezer. And when Coronavirus hit, we didn't lack for anything and not because we hoarded... we didn't. But because we try to keep the pantry and freezer stocked. Missy, I want fresh peaches now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, it is nice to have food put away. I haven't done this in ages. I'm enjoying them a bit at a time. Had oatmeal with peaches and blueberries out of the freezer yesterday!

      Delete
  3. I'm looking forward to fresh peaches around here! Even the Sam's Club ones aren't quite ready yet - but last year I bought box after box from them in late July/August, and they were fabulous. So it will be soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan they have to be getting your way soon! I have gotten 2 boxes so far. I know they are not as good as the Georgia peaches right off the truck, but we have definitely had worse lol

      Delete
    2. Jan, enjoy them when it's finally the season!

      Delete