Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Green Eggs without the Ham


I intended to post my latest quarantine hack today, but things got a bit colorful.

Let's go back a month or so. I bought a dozen eggs, but they were about to expire and I still had half the dozen left. I decided to scramble them and freeze them to keep them good for longer.

It was great because I could pull out a serving for a quick lunch, and they tasted fine.

So, when I went back to the store, I bought an 18 pack, figuring I'd repeat.

That's where it gets Seussian.

I scrambled the eggs and started to cook, and they looked lovely and fluffy.






But when I began to scoop them out onto parchment paper to freeze them, I noticed they had developed a greenish gray/silver tinge.





Oh no!  When you're trying to avoid trips to the supermarket, a wasted meal plan is not good!

Google to the rescue.

Apparently, when you cook a large quantity of eggs, they have a tendency to turn green because of the more prolonged high heat .
Aside - My first thought was to wonder if this is how Dr. Seuss got the idea.

The good news is the taste is not affected and they are perfectly safe.

So now I have a supply of frozen eggs to go along with my frozen milk cubes.

Oh, and I added pouches of salmon to supplement the tuna pouches because... well.. quarantine.

My daughter continues along with her fancier meals. Thai curry chicken with peppers in coconut milk sauce.






Cute puppy photo to make you smile.

How's July going for you?


7 comments:

  1. Mary Cate, I had no idea eggs would do that!! At least they taste okay. :)

    Cute doggie photo!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was no difference in the taste (except cooking that many at once made them not so fluffy).

      Thanks for the doggie love.

      Delete
  2. That puppy is SO cute, Mary Cate! What a great quarantine companion. Interesting on the eggs. Will have to remember that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I'd seen eggs like that before, Mindy, but I couldn't place them. I'm guessing it was probably buffet chafing dishes where they tend to cook a lot and keep them hot.

      He is a sweetheart. DD2 is so in love with him.

      Delete
  3. I had that happen once when I made eggs for a church breakfast. One well meaning soul told me to add some lemon juice when cooking the eggs to keep them from becoming green. May work but - doesn't that make the eggs taste funny?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that puppy! It's storming today so I am getting lots of puppy loves. Eggs are popular in our house since I started weight watchers Monday. I might keep this in mind! Let's not talk about how the first 3 days have gone though lol. I'll get there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine do that often because I cook for a crowd but I never knew why... but I figured it was because of whatever causes hard boiled egg yolks to get greenish, you know?

    And now I want to hug the puppy!

    Green Eggs and Ham.... a classic and a huge favorite. I love Sam I Am, he's tenacious!!!!

    ReplyDelete