Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Flatbread Pizza

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned having an excess of fresh mozzarella leftover from a banquet.
In that post, which you can find here, I mentioned a flatbread pizza. Well, I finally found the closest thing to flatbread in our little town and decided to go for it.
It wasn't as thin as I would have liked, but this was my palette. 
I had a jar of marinara sauce in the pantry, so I doled out a little bit of that and spiced it up with a dash of red pepper flakes, some garlic and pizza seasoning. Then I spread a thin layer over the flatbread.
Next, I cut a few slices of the fresh mozzarella and laid them on the sauce.
Looking back, I wish I'd broken the slices into pieces and dotted the top, but I'll do that next time. This kind of looks like a googlie-eyed smiley face, doesn't it?

I topped the cheese with a little bit of jarred pesto sauce I had in the fridge.
Added a little bit of salt and pepper.
Then baked it in a 400 degree oven for 8-10 minutes.
The result wasn't exactly what I was going for. I wish the sauce had been a bit zingier and the crust wasn't crisp enough for me. It wasn't until after the fact that I realized I should have cooked it on the grill. Good thing I still have two more flatbread pockets and more cheese. Practice makes perfect, right?

So that was my birthday meal. And I finally got my flan.
It was AMAZING! You have no idea how much willpower it took not to eat the whole thing in one sitting. 

So now this enquiring mind wants to know, if you were creating your own birthday meal, what would you make? 


Three time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus is passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. She lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, one sassy pup, countless cattle, deer and the occasional coyote, mountain lion or snake. When she's not writing, she enjoys spending time with her grandchildren, cooking and watching copious amounts of the Hallmark Channel. Learn more at mindyobenhaus.com.


11 comments:

  1. I want the flan.

    Like right now, darling.

    I like thick-crust pizza, that chewy kind that makes one smile, so while you haven't tempted me forward with the flatbread (but I agree, it needed grilling, or even pre-baking like we do with bagels to make bagel pizza) to firm it up... and it looks amazing!

    But just hand over the flan and no one gets hurt.

    So do you say flon or flann like we do up here?

    We are such Yankees!!!!

    Ever since I was schooled on how to say "pecan" in a Nashville restaurant (by a really funny, cute waitress) I've become aware of what's important in life.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually say flan, though I know it's flon. And just how do you say pecan? In Texas, it's peh-khan, so I cringe when I hear pee-can.

      Honestly, I prefer thick crust pizza, but I try to cut the carbs. And here's what we do. The next time we're together, I'll bring the flan and you bring a cherry pie. Oh, how happy we would be.

      Delete
  2. Tacos or nachos hands down! You ever hear of the taco diet? One day I just might try it lol. Now that flan looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, nachos are my favorite quick meal. They're so easy and it helps me clean out the fridge. Keep me posted on that taco diet. ;)

      Delete
  3. Pass the flan!

    I have pizza on the menu for next week! Great minds think alike.

    When I want a quick thin crust pizza, I use a tortilla for the base, and I bake it a bit before I put the toppings on.

    But we like a nice chewy crust. I found a great recipe years ago and that's my go-to now.

    But since sourdough has entered my life, I will have to try it for a pizza crust. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I've not tried a tortilla for pizza because I was afraid it wouldn't taste right. That it would taste like a tortilla. How is it?

      Yes, I have a favorite pizza crust recipe, too, and it's my favorite. Honestly, for what I made, I would have preferred a nice naan from Sam's Club. That stuff is so good.

      Delete
    2. I use the flour tortillas - they really don't have much taste at all. I only use them for a vehicle to get the good food from the plate to my mouth. ;-)

      Delete
  4. MIndy, that looks so good! Maybe you could split the pocket in half to make it thinner and crisper.

    Happy birthday!! I don't usually cook myself anything on my birthday. I just make everyone take me out. haha But if I could choose something for them to cook for me, it would probably be some kind of cheesy pasta dish. And I would love to have a chocolate Coca Cola birthday cake. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, I thought about splitting the pocket, but was afraid it would be too thin then. And I usually get taken out for my birthday, but since I was alone for this birthday, I got to have whatever I wanted and I wanted it to be easy. Plus it gave me a reason to use some of the cheese.

      Delete
  5. Ooohhh, now you have me craving pizza! I have all the ingredients except for the flatbread. Maybe I'll try making my own crust...think Ruthy put a recipe up here at some point. I usually use naan bread for my crust. Never thought of using flatbread -- we call it pita bread. Happy belated birthday, Mindy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kav. And here I was just telling someone else that I'd like to try naan the next time. That'll have to wait until I can make it to the "big city," though.

      Delete