Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Celebrating Bluebonnets with Enchilada Casserole

The Bluebonnets are out!

Yes, it's a nice crop this year, so with two of our granddaughters here due to school closings, it was the perfect time for a drive around the countryside.

Sometimes there's Indian Paintbrush thrown in for contrast.


While other times, it's all Bluebonnets.
But whatever the case, everyone is hungry when you get home, so then it's time for an easy casserole. That way you can sit back and look at all the photos you took of the wildflowers while the casserole is in the oven. 

On this night, we had Enchilada Casserole.

This easy casserole is one of my favorites. I love that I can make with either chicken or beef to suit whatever I have on hand.

Here are the basic ingredients:
  • 12-18 Corn tortillas cut into sixths or eighths
  • 1 can of Ro-tel (aka diced tomatoes with green chilies)
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 cups enchilada sauce - it can be from a can or made with an enchilada seasoning packet, following directions on packet
  • 3 C shredded cheddar cheese 
Now, depending on which version you're making, you will need:
  • 2 lbs. ground beef (I used venison)  AND 1 can cream of mushroom soup
OR
  • Approx. 4-5 cups of cut up cooked chicken (if I'm really in a hurry I'll pick up a rotisserie chicken at the store, but this is also a good use of leftovers) AND one can cream of chicken soup
Brown ground beef and onions until cooked. If using chicken, simply put into a large bowl. Add Ro-tel, soup and enchilada sauce and stir to combine.
Yeah, it kinda looks like slop, but stick with me.
Spread a layer of sauce into the bottom of a greased 9x13 baking pan/dish.
Top with tortilla wedges.
Sprinkle a third of the cheese over the tortillas.
Then top that with half of the remaining sauce.
More tortillas.
The rest of the sauce.
Top with remaining 2 cups of cheese. I failed to take a photo of that, but I'm certain you've got this.

Bake 35-45 minutes, until golden and bubbly. I forgot to take a picture of that, too, but here's one from long ago.
All that yummy enchilada flavor with half the work. 

I know we're in a challenging time and many of us are staying at home right now. So let's talk about what's cooking in your kitchen.


Three time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus is passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. She lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, one sassy pup, countless cattle, deer and the occasional coyote, mountain lion or snake. When she's not writing, she enjoys spending time with her grandchildren, cooking and watching copious amounts of the Hallmark Channel. Learn more at mindyobenhaus.com.

10 comments:

  1. This looks so good, Mindy! A great carry-in casserole for a church dinner (when we get to have those again.)

    I'll have to put the ingredients on a shopping list, though. I don't keep enchilada fixings in my pantry. It sounds like I need to adjust my pantry list...

    But, oh Mindy! Those bluebonnets are so pretty! One spring when we lived in Abilene, we drove down to San Antonio to visit some relatives who were living there at the time. The flowers were gorgeous, especially the bluebonnets. I'll never forget the sight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, the bluebonnets bring so many people so much joy. Probably because they're around for such a short time. Makes us appreciate them more. But they sure are pretty.

      Delete
  2. Mindy, that looks really good! We've been cooking a lot, but I'm starting to run low in meat in the freezer. Tonight we may just have a roasted veggie dinner. I've laid out fish for tomorrow. But I'm going to have to order groceries again soon.

    For lunch today, my daughter and I had a veggie omelet. Some good protein and very filling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also meant to say those photos are gorgeous! I want to come visit you in the spring sometime to see my first bluebonnets. :)

      Delete
    2. You're always welcome, Missy. Just come on! ;)

      Delete
  3. That first pic is breathtaking! It warms my Legend of the Bluebonnet heart. :-)

    When in crisis I like to bake because, seriously, treats fix everything, right? Found a recipe for peanut butter oatmeal cookies which was really good. Next time I'm going to add chocolate chips as well. I wondered about adding a bit of cocoa to turn them into chocolate peanut butter oatmeal cookies but I chickened out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo… Peanut butter oatmeal cookies sound delicious, Kav. I might have to search for that one. Cooking/baking is a coping mechanism for me, too. It's comforting and gives us a sense of control. And it also brings us joy. So we'll have to just keep baking up a storm. ;)

      Delete
  4. I was just writing a scene with Bluebonnets and Indian Paintbrush. :)

    Your enchiladas remind me of Mexican Lasagna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Cate, please tell me you did not ruin that scene by having someone get shot amongst the Bluebonnets! ;)

      Delete