Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Discovering the Irish

It's March, so all my thoughts turn to Ireland.






My husband and I honeymooned in Ireland 36 years ago and almost didn't leave. We seriously were considering how to make a life for ourselves there. Ultimately, family drew us home.

But my love for Ireland has persisted.

And when March rolls around, I start wanting my soda bread scones and tea.

You can find that post here.

This year I've been amused to see Starbucks with Irish Cream Cold Brew



and Pepperidge Farm bringing out the Irish in cookies. 


First they had the Irish Cream Milanos at Christmas,




and today I discovered Dublin shortbread.



Instead of sharing something I've cooked today, I'm sharing some recipes from other websites for Irish Colcannon.


Colcannon is a mix of potatoes and either cabbage or kale.

The Food Network has a recipe for the cabbage Colcannon.

Simply Recipes makes theirs with kale - Colcannon


Both include potatoes and lots of butter and cream. It's not something we could eat every day, but once a year, it makes a lovely meal.

Today I found a new version that appealed to me - Colcannon Soup.

With leeks, potatoes, and cabbage - imagine pairing it with some nice Irish brown bread for a lovely warm meal when the March winds howl.

What do you think?



10 comments:

  1. Oh, Ireland! I have a bit of Irish blood in me...maybe. (It's a long story!) But I claim a smidgen of Irish roots. :-)

    I've always wanted to visit England and Ireland, but when I was in Europe (so many long years ago,) I had a Eurail Pass, but not a Britrail Pass. I didn't have the extra hundred dollars it would have taken to include the UK in my journey. I thought I'd go back another time.

    I don't regret the choices that prevented that second trip, but the desire hasn't died. Maybe someday!

    Meanwhile, I'm going to try Colcannon, or the soup! Both versions look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to try the soup too, Jan. Let me know if you do.

      I'm sorry you didn't make it to Ireland. Some day!

      Delete
  2. Can I get to Ireland without flying?! Lol I tell Jacob if he wants me to go out of the country he has to knock me out to sleep the whole way! The best part of March for me is corn beef going on sale!! Its always so expensive, but one week a year it is cheap cheap cheap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have long enough, you could take a ship, Katie! Think of it, an ocean cruise followed by Ireland!

      Delete
  3. Mary Cate, I love Irish soda bread. When we lived in the "big city" there was an artisan bakery that would make it on Saturdays and it was amazing. As were most of their breads. Sigh. Now I want Irish Soda Bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I want to try that bakery's bread now, Mindy. I am so picky. The supermarket, pasty, doughy stuff is just yuck! You could try the recipe Kav shared a ways back.

      Delete
  4. Sigh -- those pictures make me homesick but for all my Irishness can you believe I've never tasted Colcannon? That soup looks really interesting -- with some modifications (like omitting the bacon.) Do you think it would make a huge difference to substitute the heavy cream with something lighter? Maybe vegan like oat milk or soy milk? I'm horrible at creative recipe fudging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They made me homesick as I posted them, Kav. I don't think it would be a problem. Our tastes have "evolved" so the heavy cream might really taste too heavy for us.

      Delete
  5. Oh, that all sounds delicious, Cate! I need to try making one of these recipes. It’s probably in my Irish DNA to love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DNA is my excuse too, Missy. :)

      My husband's friend used to blame Ireland for his shape - potato!

      Delete