Wednesday, March 11, 2020

How to Eat Healthy When You're on Lockdown

Here in the big city, we have been warned to stockpile enough food and supplies for anywhere from 2 weeks to a month or more. Not for a hurricane or a blizzard, but for coronavirus.

I thought today I would blog about what that means when you live in an apartment where storage is limited to begin with.

The good news is no one is expected to lose power or water, so that makes this a little easier.

The challenge is to find meals that can be made from staples and still be healthy. I realized this early on when I was buying lots of canned beans and rice. Cheese went in the freezer. I even ordered brisket and smoked turkey from my favorite BBQ joint and froze them.

But as I was taking stock, I realized the meals mostly centered around carbs because fresh veggies are going to be unavailable in this situation. SO I started thinking about how I could actually make something healthy.

Here's tonight's dinner.



I still have access to the market so I used fresh steamed greens. I had leftover beans from an earlier meal. I added half a can of low sodium tuna, 2 mandarin oranges (Vitamin C boost!) and sprinkled the whole thing with hemp seeds.


The main thing I made sure to stockpile was dog food! How in the world would you ever explain food rationing to Fenway????



After that, I have the essentials - soap (hand, dish and laundry), toilet paper, tissues, paper towels, alcohol, some lysol wipes those those shelves have been literally wiped clean, alcohol and bleach.

COFFEE!!!


I made sure to have a supply of coffee, but what to put in the coffee prompted some heavy thinking.

I have milk good for a week, but after that?

I bought a creamer that is good until May, but I also bought vanilla ice cream that I will save in case the milk and creamer run out. Since ice cream keeps in the freezer, it seemed a good plan.

I have tuna, various kinds of beans and lentils, lots of rice, quinoa, oatmeal, coffee cake (I have 2 in the freezer as backup - because some things are essential), cookies. The freezer is stocked with cheese, fish, chicken and even some hamburger. I also have frozen fruit for the oatmeal. I have pretzels and corn chips for snacks.

I think that might be all.

Does anyone have any suggestions of anything I missed?


Mindy shared some signs of Texas spring yesterday, and Ruth cheered on the birds, so I thought I'd share some Brooklyn flowers.




7 comments:

  1. This is so funny because I actually did a flu re-cap and an emergency list for tomorrow, Cate... great minds think alike!

    And in NYC, in an apartment, it's one kind of challenge. For folks in rural areas, it's another kind of challenge, isn't it?

    Such good advice.

    Stellar.

    Thank you for making us think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flowers in March in Brooklyn. Mary Cate, I guess I thought there would still be snow. So maybe that groundhog was right about an early spring after all.

    Funny, but I've only been going to the grocery store once a week for the past month. The last I was there was Saturday, so I can't even tell you what's there and what's not. However, in our little town, I doubt many people are stockpiling. Not like they would for a hurricane or, heaven forbid, a snow flurry. ;) Of course, I also have a freezer and pantry fairly well stocked anyway because I hate taking the time to go to the store.

    Okay, so I understand the run on hand sanitizer and masks (though the only people that need to wear them are those that are sick), but toilet paper? I can't wrap my brain around that one. Unless everyone just thinks they're going to be stuck and home and never allowed to go anywhere. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I'm with Mindy, I don't get the toilet paper freak out. Even up here it's getting scarce on the shelves. lol

    I have canned goods and lentils and lots of oatmeal. Lots of stews and soups ingredients and for 'fresh' I have frozen veggies and fruits. We don't have any coronoavirus cases in my city...yet. This is one instance that I'm glad I'm not working in a school. I imagine it's stressful for everyone trying to figure out protocols and everything. Our March break is next week so maybe that will help.

    Love that Fenway pic -- he looks mildly alarmed at the thought of food rationing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh -- and for fresh veggies...how about the good old Irish standby -- cabbage. It keeps in the fridge for up to two weeks and seems to be having a revival. Here's a link to a Canadian show that shared some yummy recipes. Just click on an image to get the recipe.

    https://www.theloop.ca/these-tasty-dishes-will-have-you-crushing-on-cabbage/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been preparing for this for years...and I'm only half-way kidding. We've been keeping a long-term food storage pantry for more than ten years.

    I think your list is pretty complete (although, from Fenway's face, it looks like you need to add dog treats!)

    The one thing I would change is the hand sanitizer and lysol wipes. Having small containers to carry with you is valuable, but at home, soap and water are cheaper and more effective.

    And keep the flower pictures coming! We're expecting snow over the next several days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use freezer bags to help keep my produce fresh in the fridge! We are getting ready to move so I have been avoiding grocery shopping. Hope by the time we need toilet paper there is some left!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary Cate, I have stocked up on dried beans, canned beans, rice, quinoa, and frozen veggies. We also have plenty of peanut butter. I hadn't thought of tuna or powdered coffee creamer until you mentioned it! I guess I need to go back to the store. :)

    I just wish we had a big freezer in the garage. Our freezer never has enough room.

    ReplyDelete