Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Greetings from New York and Maine

Hey everyone,

I'm waving from far away since no one wants anyone from New York to be anywhere near them these days.

I'm kinda wishing I wasn't here either, so, since I'm not doing any interesting cooking these days (and I'm on deadline), I figured I'd take you back to Maine. They had snow yesterday, but my heart is dreaming of summer and memories of happier times.

A Taste of Maine

Today's post is brought to you thanks to an extended vacation and an old family recipe.


Still haven't done much cooking. That may be the best part of vacation.

Not really. For me, the best part of this vacation was the long walks with Fenway on the beach every night. For most of the summer, dogs are barred from the beach, but every night from 6 - 8 they are allowed on leash. My silly dog who hates HATES getting his feet wet, and balks at walking in the rain, LOVES the beach. All he has to hear is me say, "Fenny, want to go to the beach?" and his tail starts wagging and his face breaks into a grin. From the moment we exit the car, he is yanking me toward the water. It's funny to watch him approach the water and then dance out of the way of the incoming waves.


Do we really have to leave?

I took this video of him charging ahead of me. He loves to sniff the seaweed.




SO on to food.  Since I'm talking Maine and seafood and beaches, I thought I would share a favorite recipe from a few years ago.

One of our favorite places to eat a casual meal while we're here is the Maine Diner.  I had a wonderful lobster roll for lunch there, but my favorite dish to get is their lobster pie.

The first time I ordered it, I was anticipating something along the lines of of chicken pot pie but with lobster. It turned out not to be nothing at all like that, but it was so much better.


After my first bite, I turned to my husband and said, "This tastes like Sam's fish."

Sam was an elderly man who cooked for my husband's even more elderly mother and aunt back when we were first married. They lived on a gorgeous estate on Cape Cod - 2 sisters and Sam and his wife.

My husband LOVED Sam's fish, so with my newlywed enthusiasm, I tried everything I could think of to replicate it. I bought every type of bread crumbs I could find, but the response was always, "Good, but not like Sam's."

Finally, in desperation, I told Sam my sad tale. He laughed and took me into the pantry where he shared his secret crust - Ritz crackers and butter. Yup. That was all. He'd smash the crackers, mix with melted butter, and layer onto the fish. So simple, but SO tasty. My marriage was safe!


So when I took that first bite of lobster pie this summer, and it tasted like lobster with Sam's crust, I was highly suspicious that I knew the special family recipe. In the name of research, I went into the gift shop and bought a cookbook of diner recipes which included the lobster pie. Sure enough - Ritz crackers and butter!

My Friday night dinner!


It was very good. Yum.

I haven't made Sam's fish in many years (in the name of low cholesterol and all that jazz), but after we returned home, I decided to give it a try for old times sake (and to post here). So without further ado - the 4 step fish recipe.

1. Smash the Ritz crackers. I do it in a baggie with an ice cream scoop.
2. Melt butter in microwave and mix in the cracker crumbs.
3. Spread on the fish (I used haddock. Sam always used sole.)
4. Bake. You can broil briefly at the end if you feel the need to brown the crumbs, but be careful!




Enjoy!

I'm curious. Have any of you ever made this?


As you can probably tell from the photo above, the lobster pie uses fresh lobster rather than haddock and they cook it in a mini casserole dish. So.much.goodness.

I'll leave you with some more photos of my favorite beach,










 And these from the Marginal Way.







7 comments:

  1. Oh, I need to visit Maine. I've never been there, and it just looks wonderfully marvelous. The ocean, the cliffs, the rocks, the scents... I must go there, Cate.

    Thank you for posting this. I know life in NYC is crazy right now. It's crazy here, too, because everything is closed, except for grocery stores and drugstores.... and when you pass a parking lot with cars, that's the unusual thing if it's not a grocery store!

    We'll muster on, we always do, but we are living in the pages of a history book right now.

    So this glimpse of Maine makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just mentally reckoning the miles between the Black Hills and Maine...it's a LOT! So, Ruthy, you'll have to make the visit for me!

      Delete
    2. I know, Ruthy. I was despairing the other day, wondering if I'll ever see the ocean again. *sniff*

      But we will carry on.

      Delete
  2. Love the pictures, Mary Cate. And this was where we talked about the famous Ritz cracker topping. Definitely a classic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I was going to delete that part and just focus on the pictures, but I decided to leave it alone because it does taste so good - and I have Ritz crackers, fish and butter!

      Delete
  3. I remember when you posted this earlier...I'll have to put the ingredients on my "after the plague shopping list."

    And those pictures! We live in SUCH a beautiful world, don't we?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really do, Jan. And there's such amazing diversity. I've been really wanting to visit Idaho for some reason!

      Delete