Friday, March 13, 2020

Poor Man's Beef Stroganoff

Missy Tippens

I wanted to share a recipe I threw together the other day that turned out pretty tasty. I had a container of fresh mushrooms and wanted to make something with those using red wine (I love mushrooms cooked in wine and butter). So I decided to make beef stroganoff, but make it a little healthier by using non-fat plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.

First, I have to share a fail! LOL I had a frozen pound of beef that didn't finish thawing. So I put it on low in the skillet, covered it, and allowed it to start cooking slowly to finish thawing. Well, I made the mistake of going back to my computer and got distracted. My husband got home from work, lifted the lid, and said the beef looked done!

Unfortunately, it was. It was a solid cooked block!!! haha So I had to take two forks and try to crumble it. :) Here it is partly crumbled...


And here it is about ten minutes later.



Then I added some shallots and sautéd them. Once softened, I added a bit of butter, some red wine, the shiitake mushrooms and Worcestershire sauce.



Once it was done and ready to serve, I stirred in the Greek yogurt and let it heat through. Because I was making up the recipe as I went, I didn't know how much yogurt to add. I ended up wishing I'd added more. I'll probably also add more seasoning next time.

I wish I'd had some egg noodles, which just seem to go perfectly with beef stroganoff. However, I ended up serving it over leftover whole wheat spaghetti noodles.


I don't have any photos to share! Once it was served, we got sidetracked. :)

If you get a chance to make something similar, I hope you like it!

www.missytippens.com

6 comments:

  1. That looks delicious, Missy! Stroganoff is one of my favorite dishes, and I have plenty of ground beef in the freezer. All I need to do is put mushrooms on my grocery list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missy, mushrooms and beef are always a match made in heaven. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Missy, I've done that before! A solid block, LOL! You did great. And I'm going to try this because I love a good hamburger beef stroganoff.... I used to buy Hamburger Helper.... but when I realized how easy it was to make it, that ended! Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, I'm glad I'm not the only one! haha You know, my daughter used to beg for Hamburger Helper, so I knew she would love this. :)

      Delete