Friday, March 20, 2020

Crispy Fish Filets (Not Fried)

Missy Tippens

Being stuck at home to keep social distance for the last couple of weeks, I have been cooking a LOT more meals than usual. This has led me to try something new. I ordered groceries to be delivered for the first time ever (loved it!), and had them bring several cod filets. I went looking for recipes and found a new way to fix an old standby. I took it from this recipe for Crispy Cod with Lentils at Food Network, but only used the fish portion. I wanted to make potatoes in the air fryer rather than lentils.

I also simplified the instructions. You know me! Let's make it easy and create less dirty dishes. :)

I had 5 cod filets because our son and his girlfriend were maybe going to come visit (and get some toilet paper since they haven't found any in Atlanta each time they've tried!). However, she started feeling bad (please pray for her!). So they weren't able to make it. Gotta maintain social distance.

I salted and peppered the fish. Then I mixed together chopped garlic and dijon mustard. I spread that on one side of the fish.

(Sorry, no photos!)

This is where I changed up the recipe.

First, I didn't have any parsley, not even dried. I can't imagine how I ran out of that staple! So instead of using that, I got out the Italian seasoning and shook some on the fish. Next, the recipe said to dip the coated fish into the mixture of bread crumbs and parsley. I figured why dirty up a plate and waste a big pile of bread crumbs? Instead, I sprinkled the mustard side of the fish with bread crumbs and pressed them into the fish. Easy and done! No mess.

While I was doing that last step, I was heating a really large non-stick, oven-safe skilled at medium high heat. I poured in a little olive oil and let it heat. Then I put the fish in the skillet, mustard/crumb side DOWN. I cooked it for 3 minutes.

Next, I flipped the fish over very carefully with my wonderful fish spatula! Then I put the skillet in the oven for 7 minutes (shorter than the recipe called for because my fish filets were mostly thinner tail pieces).

They turned out beautiful! And really, good. I'll definitely be doing this again!



For my side dish, I cut red potatoes into wedges, tossed in olive oil and seasoning salt, and then cooked in my air fryer. They were nice a crispy!



A great meal that took hardly any time. I hope you'll try it!

www.missytippens.com

7 comments:

  1. Missy, that spring chicken dish I do is done with a Dijon mustard sauce and pressed bread, cracker or panko crumbs... and it's so good. This sounds marvelous! Thanks for sharing the idea.

    And it is weird right now, isn't it? I always package a bunch of meat/fish into the freezer because we have kids home on the weekends.... so big packages! But there's no one, and when you thaw these big packs, you have to eat them... so that's an interesting twist on all of this!

    Stay safe, all friends.

    And pray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I bet this would be good on chicken! I'll have to try it. However, on the last grocery order, they had no chicken available. I guess I may need to try again soon to see if it's back in stock.

      Delete
  2. I'm drooling over the potatoes. An air fryer sounds less scary than using oil. I just bake mine in the oven but I bet yours turn out way crispier.

    Praying for your son's girlfriend. Good that they are keeping their distance though. I totally don't get this toilet paper craze. It boggles the mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, they do turn out really good! I sometimes just spray with Pam. This time I actually drizzled on a little bit of olive oil. So it's more than a spray, but not nearly as much fat as frying. And they taste and feel as if fried. :)

      Delete
  3. This sounds delicious, Missy! I don't have any fish on hand, but I do have plenty of chicken. I'll have to try the same topping on some chicken breasts!

    Have a great - and quiet - weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, be sure to let me know how it turns out! I'd love to try this with chicken.

      Delete
  4. Missy, I keep forgetting to roast my potatoes in the air fryer. Shoot, I use it for everything from fries to pizza, but keep forgetting to do veggies/potatoes in there. (insert facepalm)

    ReplyDelete