Tuesday, March 10, 2020

The Times They are a Changing

Spring on the coastal plains of Texas. It's here, regardless of what the calendar says. 

My amaryllis are blooming.

As are the wildflowers.
The bluebonnets are a good two weeks ahead of schedule.
Spring is about renewal and rebirth. On the ranch, that means calves.  See that little tan and white bundle tucked beneath mama's chest?
This little white one still has its cord.
However, you're never too young to get a little cheeky.
Before long they'll become teenagers and grow more curious by the day. This one met me as I drove in the gate. And refused to move. Just stared at my Explorer for the longest time as though trying to figure out what it was. You should have seen the calf leap into the air when I got tired of waiting and inched my way forward.
Spring also means Friday night fish fries. At least until Easter.
Y'all, that is some mighty fine eatin'.

Last Friday night we joined some friends for fish tacos at a local winery. Sitting around the fire pit, we savored the beautiful setting and a gorgeous sunset.
And then on Saturday, our youngest came home from work with a raging fever and we ended up at the ER, convinced it was the flu. It wasn't. Just some other virus threatening to invade our space. Meaning I spent Sunday with this trio.
What's happening where you are? Does winter still have you in its grip or is spring trying to make itself known? 


Three time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus is passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. She lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, one sassy pup, countless cattle, deer and the occasional coyote, mountain lion or snake. When she's not writing, she enjoys spending time with her grandchildren, cooking and watching copious amounts of the Hallmark Channel. Learn more at mindyobenhaus.com.

10 comments:

  1. I'm glad it wasn't flu.... but I love the trio! :) And the Southern Fish Fry looks marvelous!

    But what I really love are the pics of all the hints of spring! We have BIRDS SINGING!!!!! They just started arriving the past two days, and I'm like outside, jumping up and down, waving to them and welcoming them back! :)

    Ridiculous.... and yet so true. :)

    Spring feels good!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, I couldn't help laughing at you outside, jumping up and down, waving at the birds. All I could think was that you were probably scaring them away doing that. :D

      Delete
  2. Yay for spring in Texas!! Ours is on its way, but Saturday old man winter is going to try and come back. I think miss spring can hold him off though! Now with the trip hopefully you will all stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously?! I can't even...Though the snow is melting...in time for more to come tomorrow and Thursday and Friday and...But it's warmer so it won't accumulate as much, just pretty up the gray mounds piled high everywhere. :-)

    Loved seeing those blue bonnets. One of my daughter's favourite picture books was The Legend of Bluebonnet by Tomie De Paola so it's fun to see an actual photo of a field dotted with them.

    Glad your house isn't flu-y. Hopefully your son will keep his germs to himself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he does, too, Kav. Though I know he has not washed his hands anywhere near as much as I have.

      Ah, the bluebonnets. My favorites. They're just beginning to pop, and I can't be sure, but I'm thinking they'll be much more abundant in a couple of weeks. If so, you know I'll share. There's nothing quite like a beautiful field of blue.

      And at least you're looking at the bright side of more snow. That it'll pretty-up the gray. ;)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the bluebonnet photos, Mindy. This is the season my book is set in, so it's good to have the visual. I'm hoping for bluebonnets on the cover. *fingers crossed*

    What's happening where we are? In NY it's one word - coronavirus. It's all anyone is talking about since we now have the dubious honor of the most cases in the country. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, Mary Cate. Have they closed any schools yet? When do y'all have spring break?

      I hope you get bluebonnets on your cover, too. So long as they're not too ominous. ;)

      Delete
  5. Mindy, I missed your post! I've been absent all week caring for my mom.

    Loved the photos! I hope you son is better asap and that he didn't share germs!

    ReplyDelete