Monday, March 2, 2020

Cabbage, Beef & Cheese Casserole

Jan here, with another low-carb discovery.


This recipe was delicious!

There's just something about sauteed cabbage (NOT boiled-to-death cabbage) that is so good. Think of it in stir-fries - doesn't it add bulk and flavor at the same time? And in this dish you sautee it in butter and bacon grease...ambrosia. As the cabbage cooks in the butter or oil, it caramelizes a bit and sweetens just enough to make you come back for more.

Cabbage, Beef & Cheese Casserole

ingredients:

4 slices bacon (I like Wright's Apple Smoked Thick Cut)
2 Tablespoons butter
1 bag three-color coleslaw mix (or 1/2 head cabbage, shredded)
1 pound ground beef
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon each garlic powder, thyme, oregano, and basil
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

In a large frying pan, cook and crumble the bacon (or cut it in 1/2" pieces first and then cook it,) reserving 2 Tablespoons of the bacon grease. In the same pan, add the 2 Tablespoons butter to the bacon grease.

When the butter is melted, add the shredded cabbage. Add the bacon bits and cook for a couple minutes on medium heat, stirring and tossing the cabbage until it is slightly wilted and coated with the butter/bacon grease. Place the cabbage in the bottom of a greased casserole dish (I used a 9" x 9".)

In the same frying pan, cook the ground beef until it is no longer pink. Add the onion and herbs and continue cooking until the onion is softened. Spread the ground beef mixture on top of the cabbage in the casserole dish.

*Note: The next time I make this, I'll stir the ground beef and cabbage together.

Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top.

Cook for 15-20 minutes in a 350° oven, or until the cheese is melted and beginning to brown.


I should have taken this photo from the other angle so you could see the cabbage/bacon layer.

I served it with celery sticks and avocado. Lettuce isn't on the menu yet - not until spring. But that will be soon!

And I know you've been waiting for a couple gratuitous puppy pictures!


With a new buddy in the house, it's hard to catch Jack holding still! I had to wait until he was getting a drink to get a photo. He loves the new toy we brought home last week.

Big news for Jack - he graduated from his Basic Manners class on Saturday. He did so well on his final exam, excelling in "walking on a loose leash," "coming when called," and "paying attention to his handler." All important things for a well-mannered dog to know!


And here's Sam, Jack's new toy. Yes, at nine weeks old he's still a little goofy-looking. He's a puppy! What do you expect?

But he has potential...every once in a while, we catch him doing the classic border collie crouch and stare (at Maggie-Cat!), and he is very responsive to our voices. It's early days yet, but I think agility might be in our future...

Watch this fabulous dog who won at Westminster this year!


Have you ever seen a dog having so much fun???

Actually, I have. Thatcher and I did agility together for several months and had a blast. But as much fun as he had, I ended up quitting when I signed a new contract (training dogs takes time!) However, if Sam has the potential to do well, I might be persuaded to put the time into the sport again.

If nothing else, it will keep me active!






Jan Drexler lives in the Black Hills of South Dakota with her husband and growing family. When she isn't writing, she loves hiking in the Hills or satisfying her cross stitch addiction.

You can find Jan on Facebook, Jan Drexler, author, or her website, Jan Drexler.com




16 comments:

  1. Oh my stars, this looks marvelous and low-carb and filling... it's like comfort food without the carbs. YES!!!!

    And those dogs, oh Jan, I am in love.... and so happy for you... and a wedding coming up... and so happy for them.

    It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Comfort food!

      And we are blessed...dogs, a wedding, getting to know our new neighbors... We gave up so much last year. It seemed like every week or two we suffered another loss (a dear friend who died, dogs, children moving away, selling once cherished items as we downsized, unpacking and finding cherished items broken beyond repair...on and on.) But God restores, doesn't He? Blessed be the name of the Lord. Job 1:21

      Delete
  2. Congratulations, Jack!

    It's March, so of course it's time for cabbage, says the Irish gal in me. I have to rush off to work, but I'm going to come back and study this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cabbage is winter's gift of greens! Even when our lettuce gets frozen on the way across the prairies and salads are hard to come by, cabbage is always faithful!

      Delete
  3. I like sauted cabbage, cheese, and hamburger. Maybe we will try this after the move.

    😍😍 Those puppies! Maybe Jack and Sam would both like agility? You have 2 people in the house after all. Maybe it can become a standing date night! That sounds like a good time to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I don't think that would work well! When I took Thatcher to agility classes, there was a couple there with their two dogs. The dogs paid more attention to each other than the agility course. Nope, one dog at a time. :-)

      I wish we were closer to help you move to your beautiful new place!

      Delete
    2. I was nervous about not having help, but we will have plenty thanks to the good Lord! He has our back once again!

      Delete
  4. This looks delicious, Jan. I'm not sure how the boy will feel about the cabbage, but hubby and will be all over this. And those puppies... I bet you have one lively household now, Jan. At least until they play themselves out and drop for a nap. Then they'll wake and be ready to go again. Once they've grown accustom to one other, they can entertain each other. Maddie is finally getting used to Marvel and initiating playtime now, so that's a positive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam and Jack are getting along well. Jack is still sorting out how aggressive he's allowed to be as they play, but it won't be long until Sam outweighs him! Jack is at his adult height and weight (25-30 pounds,) but Sam will be twice as big. We tell Jack that he better be nice to Sam!

      And yes, it's a lively (and exhausting) household right now! Sam is just beginning to make progress on his housebreaking, so it's like living with a toddler who doesn't wear diapers. *eyeroll*

      Delete
  5. This sounds delicious! Just found something different to fix this week....thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad Jack is enjoying his new toy. lol I bet those two keep you in stitches. Nothing like puppy antics to keep you grinning!

    I just discovered that youtube is a wonderful source of agility videos. I love watching them! Especially the British shows where the rescue dogs give it a try. Crofts I think is the show name. There are some funny ones with dogs who...well, lets just say they haven't captured all the nuances for the sport. Snort.

    I wanted to do agility with my guys but I don't have a car and all the training centres are in the suburbs or the country. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lot of fun to watch the puppies play!

      I love watching the agility competitions on YouTube, too! The Crofts trials are some of the best. One of the great things about agility is that any dog and owner/handler can learn to do it. Itty-bitties have their own size jumps and ramps, and the giants do, too. The trainer we go to competes with her Papillons.

      And even when the dog doesn't really "get" the sport, it's still a lot of fun.

      There are some other dog sports that aren't as active, but still fun. Around here a popular one is called "barn hunt." A lure that smells like a rat is placed in a chew-proof cage and buried somewhere in a stack of hay bales. The dog has to smell it out and locate it (or them - I think they use several lures.) The dogs love it!

      Delete
  7. That pink nose!!! Oh my goodness. He's so cute I want to eat him up! :)

    I want to eat up this recipe, too! haha I love sautéed cabbage and eat it often. You're right about the butter and bacon grease. LOL

    P.S. I'm sorry I totally flaked and didn't get by yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That pink nose is in the process of turning black. The black spots are getting bigger, and he's getting a string of black freckles along the top. Jack had the same bicolored nose when he was that age. By the time he came home at 14 weeks old, it was completely black. It's so much fun to watch the changes as they grow!

      Delete
    2. Jan, I didn’t realize that the nose changes! So interesting. :)

      Delete