Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Simple Salad and Sunset

This past weekend was the Servant's Heart banquet at our church, an outreach to cancer patients and their caregivers in our area. Our appetizer for the event was caprise salad, a refreshing blend of fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and basil. But I overordered on the mozzarella.
So right about now, I'm thinking about a delightful margherita pizza, with a tangy sauce, slices of fresh mozzarella and tomato and a sprinkling of basil on flatbread. That'll make a wonderful dinner.

But my favorite use of fresh mozzarella is caprese salad. Traditionally, it's a slice of fresh mozzarella cheese topped with a tomato slice and a basil leaf, drizzled with a little olive oil and sprinkled with some coarse ground black pepper. But I prefer mine a little different.

First, we need some yummy tomatoes. Like these campari tomatoes. Very tasty. You can also use cherry tomatoes or whatever variety you prefer.
Cut into bite-size pieces and tossed them together with some cubed fresh mozzarella. 
 
Then add some chopped basil, a bit of olive oil, a pinch of sea salt, and some fresh ground pepper. Maybe even a splash of balsamic vinegar. Toss it all up and voila!
A light and refreshing lunch that's not only easy, but oh so delicious.

So our weather has been quite squirrely lately. Temps will approach 80 one day and then be stuck in the 40s the next. I saw my first wildflower over the weekend and a tree trying to bud. We've finally had some rain, but not the soakers we need to fill the lakes, ponds and tanks before summer hits. I'm praying for a wet spring. However, the rain has provided us with some beautiful sunsets.
 I do love it when God does some sky-painting.
So what's the weather doing where you are? And what's your favorite thing to do with fresh mozzarella?


Three time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus is passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. She lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, one sassy pup, countless cattle, deer and the occasional coyote, mountain lion or snake. When she's not writing, she enjoys spending time with her grandchildren, cooking and watching copious amounts of the Hallmark Channel. Learn more a mindyobenhaus.com.

12 comments:

  1. I love this combo. And the sky is so pretty!

    I will send you some rain/snow/sleet/wintry mix. And I know that it gets serious down there if the rains don't come. This year's funny jet stream pattern has given us mud, mud and more mud with only a hand full of days that are good for kids playing outside... we like our winter days of playing outside, building forts, trekking around, but cold, wet mud is not as enticing.

    Praying for your rain!

    And Deb Giusti reported daffodils in Georgia... It will be a long while before I see any shade of green, but it is so very welcome when it comes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, I will gladly take that rain/snow/sleet/wintry mix. And then eat soup and stew until my heart's content.

      Thank you for your prayers. We definitely need rain. That drought of 2011 was the worst I don't care for a repeat anytime soon.

      Delete
  2. Oh what time is the pizza dinner? That sounds so good. I like the idea of the salad, but I don't like to just eat basil like that. However this same concept with some spinach and having it as a salad makes my tummy rumble lol. Maybe I should eat breakfast!

    Our weather is trying to creep to spring. We have spent most of the winter in the 30s, but have had some cold spells. Not horrible, but I'm ready for spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooohhhh -- that salad looks scrumptious. I've never heard of it. I'll have to makes it in the summer. Tomatoes up here in the winter have absolutely no taste.

    Love your sky painting pics. We're doing the whole snowstorm thing again today. Same old same old in my neck of the woods. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, this would be a perfect summertime meal for you. And feel free to send some of that snow down here to Texas.

      Delete
  4. I love your version of caprese salad, but man do you have me craving Margherita pizza right about now.

    Oh, and I love those Campari tomatoes too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so yummy! We recently had caprese kabobs for an appetizer. It had a drizzle of balsamic glaze (she bought it as a glaze). It was soo good! I plan to try to find that glaze at the grocery.

    Our weather has also been crazy. One week we were 74 degrees and sunny on Monday and then had sleet on Friday and two inches of snow on Saturday. And we have trees blooming! I think they're redbuds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, why couldn't we catch any of that snow or sleet, Missy? Sigh. Maybe next year. Then again, winter's not over yet. They're calling for another cold blast next week.

      Delete