Friday, February 21, 2020

A Week of Dental Work, Oh My

Missy Tippens


I don't have much to share in the way of cooking this week. I've had a rough couple of weeks with my teeth. After a week of awful nerve pain in my jaw and teeth on one side, I finally went to the dentist on Monday and had a filling replaced. We're hoping that is the culprit for the pain. Afterwards, I was feeling a good bit better pain-wise. However, the very next day, I bit down on something hard in a salad at a restaurant (never did find what it was), and broke a different tooth on the other side of my mouth! So I returned to the dentist on Wednesday. We have a plan for a crown. Fingers crossed I won't end up needing an implant.


Needless to say, eating has been difficult. I've been eating soft foods. Made bean soup and have plans to make tomato soup.



Those are my feet at the bottom of the photo. :)

While at the dentist's office, I snapped some photos to share because it's such a beautiful place. All the rooms have a nearly full wall of windows. And they've put bird feeders (and squirrel feeders!) outside so you can relax by watching the wildlife. In the spring and summer, it's even prettier.





I love the squirrel feeder!
For those who have anxiety over visits to a dentist, this setting might help. I actually don't have much anxiety, especially since I'm friends with our dentist and totally trust him. We sang in the choir together for 16 years at our previous church (and ever since we moved, I drive 45 minutes to see him).

Do you fear dental visits? Do you think a nice setting like this might help with anxiety?


www.missytippens.com

8 comments:

  1. Good morning, Missy. It's funny how our experiences influence what we see. With your first photo, I assumed it was a TV screen because that's what my dentist has. How lovely that those are windows instead!

    I do have a fear of the dentist because i've had a number of really bad experiences going back more than 50 years - starting with my first dentist who ignored my complaints of tooth pain. When my parents finally took me to a new dentist (Dr. Apfel - see, I loved him so I still remember his name 50 years later!), it turned out I had 13 cavities!!!!!

    I've had more root canals than I can count, but those never scared me because my endodontist was wonderful. Unfortunately, both he and my regular dentist passed away in the last few years. I struggled to find a new dentist, but ultimately a cracked tooth forced me to make a decision. I was very happy with his work, so I'm not nearly as scared about going back.

    Fingers crossed for the crown to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, what a journey you've had Mary Cate!! I can't imagine dealing with all that pain with 13 cavities as a child! I'm so glad you've found someone new.

      My dentist is exactly my age, so I don't know what I'll do after his retirement. Oh, wait! His daughter is in dental school now! So I'll be able to go to her. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, this is a tricky thing, isn't it? But what a beautiful setting, Missy. And I hope the crown works.

    I didn't realize until I got a little older that cracking teeth is problematic... Young teeth don't crack. SIGH.... :)

    But here's to great dental care, although I'm sorry you had a rough couple of weeks. Ouch, my friend.

    Although soup sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, I have wondered if my teeth are crumbling with age! I do wonder if I need to get more calcium. Will be Googling that! :)

      And yes, soup is good! Only the heat is now making the original side hurt again, so I'm afraid we didn't cure the problem with the new filling. :(

      Delete
  3. I'm sharing your dentist visit woes, Missy! I'm scheduled to get two crowns next week.

    But like you, my anxiety is greatly relieved because my dentist is also a friend from church. He recently took on a new partner - a really nice guy, and I like him - but when I think about him putting in my new crowns, that anxiety comes back. I made sure my regular dentist will be doing the work!

    What is it about dentists? Maybe it's the potential for so MUCH pain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I think trust goes a long way to helping that fear of potential pain. So I'm with you on sticking with my dentist friend!

      I hope your procedures go well next week!! Will be praying for you.

      Delete
  4. Oh dental work is so fun! Ok not all of it. I LOVE getting my teeth cleaned. My 6th month dates have been delayed due to job changes. Now anything else I don't enjoy. Especially the x-rays! I have such a small mouth the thing you bite on hurts. Sometimes I ask if they can use the one for kids.

    Your view is so much better then the TVs on the ceiling most places have! I'm sure while you wait you can find some tasty soft foods to eat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, the x-ray thingies hurt my mouth, too! I love your idea of asking for a kid-sized film. :)

      Delete