Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Corn and Potato Haddock Chowdah

You may remember me introducing you to my favorite Bob's Red Mill dehyrdated potato flakes. I've enjoyed having them as an easy side after a long day at work, but I've been wanting to try them as soup. The package has instructions for a potato soup, but I had something different in mind.

So on Sunday, while half the world was watching the Super Bowl, I decided to give it a try.


I took out my favorite cast iron round Dutch Oven and simmered three pieces of haddock. (One was for Fenway's dinners).






I used plenty of water because that became my fish stock. I added some garlic and some corn.
















Then I added the potato flakes. I did it slowly, adding them in small amounts until I got my desired consistency.

The last step was to flake the haddock back in. I rinsed the haddock under cold water so I could easily flake it and make sure there were no bones.

I heated it all through and dinner was ready. Just like that.

And apparently I forgot to take a photo of the finished soup.  Ooops.


I'll leave you something else instead.

I saw these on my walk yesterday. Spring is coming.


Snowdrops!




It was delicious and I had enough leftovers for lunches this week.





3 comments:

  1. This sounds really good, Mary Cate. How did Fenway like his haddock? Yes, we've had a few things trying to bloom around here, too. So you know what happened. Another blast of winter decides to show up. It is only February, after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fenway LOVES haddock. He gets so excited when I make fish for him. He's my ocean-loving pup.

      Delete
  2. Mary Cate, I forgot all about these potato flakes! I'm so glad you mentioned them again! I need to buy some and try them.

    BTW, I just got what sounds like an amazing and simple recipe for potato soup. I'll have to share it when I try it.

    ReplyDelete