Monday, February 10, 2020

Lighter Spaghetti Pie

by Jan Drexler

I tell you folks, especially you Southerners who were reeling under your recent snow event, it's February.

Yes, February. That means snow, not flowers. Short days, cloudy days, and cold air.



But it also means comfort food to the max!

My most recent comfort-food craving sent me to one of my Taste of Home publications. I buy these every once in awhile. I enjoy browsing through them to find new recipe ideas.

Learn about Taste of Home magazine here

On a recent browse-through (not in the magazine pictured) I found a recipe for spaghetti pie - something I had never made before - but it sounded delicious! I adjusted the recipe to match the items I had on hand, and the result was delicious!

Lighter Spaghetti Pie

ingredients:

4 oz uncooked angel hair pasta
2 large egg whites, slightly beaten
1 Tablespoon butter (softened or melted)
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

1 pound ground beef, cooked and drained (you can substitute ground turkey)
1/4 cup chopped onion
8 oz can tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

1 cup lowfat cottage cheese

1/2 cup shredded mozzarella

Preheat your oven to 350°.

Cook the angel hair pasta according to directions and drain. In a medium bowl, mix the butter and egg whites. Add the cooked pasta and stir until the pasta is coated (using two forks instead of a spoon works well.) Add the 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and mix in well.

Distribute the pasta in the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie plate.


Meanwhile, brown the ground beef, adding the onions when the beef is about halfway done. When the meat is cooked, drain it, then put it back in the pan.

Add the tomato sauce and herbs, mixing well.

Spread the cottage cheese in the bottom of your spaghetti crust.


Then add the meat and tomato mixture.


Bake for 20 minutes at 350°, then sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on top. Bake for another 5 minutes or so, or until the cheese is melted.

What makes this recipe "lighter?" If you notice, the recipe had very little fat in it - only 1 Tablespoon butter (if you drain your beef well or use ground turkey white meat.) Using egg whites instead of a whole egg and low fat cottage cheese all help keep the fat content down. Angel hair pasta instead of regular spaghetti helps lighten up this recipe, too.

This dish met my comfort-food cravings! Easy and delicious!


While I cook, I often watch the sunset in the western sky.


It's worth every second! And Jack enjoys the deck in the evening, too. He watches the deer walk by and the neighbors as they drive home.


Does he look a little bit lonely to you? Maggie-Cat doesn't play with him as much as he'd like her to.


Maybe he needs a playmate closer to his own age (and energy level?)

Border collie puppy at 5 weeks - we are waiting to give
him his name after we meet him. :)
Shhh! Don't tell Jack, but his new furry brother will be coming home in a couple weeks!




Jan Drexler lives in the Black Hills of South Dakota with her husband and growing family. When she isn't writing, she loves hiking in the Hills or satisfying her cross stitch addiction.

You can find Jan on Facebook, Jan Drexler, author, or her website, Jan Drexler.com

9 comments:

  1. Jan, this recipe looks delicious! Thanks for sharing it.

    And yay for Jack getting a puppy companion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is delicious! We had the leftovers on Saturday and they were just as good. :-)

      And that puppy...we're hoping he turns out to be another great dog!

      Delete
    2. Oh, of course he will.... he'll be in the Black Hills... We will all tell him how lucky he is!

      Delete
  2. Hmm... I'm not sure how I feel about spaghetti in pie form. Do the noodles get crispy? Spaghetti is one of my favorite quick-fix meals. Unfortunately, neither the boy nor I love spaghetti as much as my husband does. If we did, we'd probably have it almost every night. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The noodles around the edges get a little crispy, but most of them stay nice and soft. The egg mixture helps to bind the noodles together to make the crust.

      And I know - we don't have spaghetti as much as we used to back in the days when everyone lived at home! But we still get hungry for it once in a while.

      Delete
    2. Mindy, I'm so glad you asked that, because I wondered the same thing. I've never made spaghetti pie.... but Jan makes it look marvelous!

      Delete
  3. I am so excited that Jack is getting a playmate! Every time I see that commercial with the Corgi in the snow, I think of you and Jack... So special, Jan! And now a BUDDY!!!!!

    Oh be still my heart!

    Can't wait to see the new little guy in his new home, with his big (for now!) brother. Bless you and hubby and these cute furry friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been talking about this for months - literally! And we aimed for January or February to add the new family member. Finding a border collie pup? That's just pure gold. :-)

      Of course, adding another puppy is just three times the work... ;-)

      Delete
  4. Jan, this looks so good!! I can't wait to make it.

    Also can't wait for the new pup to come home with you! :)

    ReplyDelete