Tuesday, February 4, 2020

A Super Bowl Birthday

Unless you've been living under a rock for the past week, you probably heard something about a little football game that took place Sunday evening. Okay, the biggest game of the year, and it was a good one. Everyone loves a comeback.

However, we all know that the Super Bowl isn't really just about football. No, it about the commercials and the FOOD. This year's big game happened to fall on my husband's birthday so I had to make some of his favorite treats. 
Guacamole. You can find my recipe here.

Homemade sub sandwiches.
Fried pickles. 
Actually, that was our son's request. They were frozen, but done in the air fryer, they came out nice a crisp.

But the one thing hubby really likes are jalapeno poppers. Not the battered and fried version, but bacon-wrapped and baked.
They're actually relatively easy to make, they just take a little bit of prep.
Start with fresh jalapenos. Cut off the tops, slice them in half, then remove the seeds and the ribs, which is where all the heat is. 
In a bowl, beat softened cream cheese with some shredded cheddar cheese. I only had six jalapenos, so I used one 8 oz brick of cream cheese and about 1/2 to 1 cup cheese.
Spoon cheese mixture into jalapeno halves, filing them without over-stuffing them.
Then wrap each half in half a slice of bacon and secure with a toothpick.
Place wrapped halves atop rack placed inside of a baking sheet to allow grease to drip away. I just use a cooling rack.
Bake in 275 degree oven for an hour and fifteen minutes to an hour and half, until bacon is cooked. 
Allow to cool slightly before serving.
One side note here, be sure to wash your hands with a grease-cutting dish soap such as Dawn after cleaning out the jalapenos to remove the oils. Because I you rub your face or eyes without having done that, you will wish you had. Trust me on this.

Did you watch the big game? What were some of your favorite commercials? The Groundhog Day Jeep commercial with Bill Murray and Punxsutawney Phil had me laughing out loud. The one with Sofia Vergara was funny, too.


Three time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus is passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. She lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, one sassy pup, countless cattle, deer and the occasional coyote, mountain lion or snake. When she's not writing, she enjoys spending time with her grandchildren, cooking and watching copious amounts of the Hallmark Channel. Learn more a mindyobenhaus.com.



11 comments:

  1. Not a football fan (yes, I just admitted that publicly) so never watch the game...not that I have cable anymore. They block all the commercials though so we Canadians never get to see what all the fuss is about. except for Budweiser horses which I can find on Youtube. lol Looks like you had a mighty fine birthday celebration! I am now craving guaucamole something fierce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, finally, something I make that you can eat. Oh, and cupcakes. ;)

      Delete
    2. Oh, and you didn't miss anything. They quit doing the Clydesdale commercials. Everyone misses them.

      Delete
  2. What is it about jalapeno poppers? I usually avoid jalapenos - they're just way too hot for me - but put them in a popper and I'll have one or two. I LOVE them! (but I keep my serving down to one or two because peppers don't like me!)

    I've been having fun watching Super Bowl commercials on YouTube, and I'm glad the Chiefs won! One of our children was born when we lived in Kansas City, so if I have to choose between KC and San Francisco...well, there's no contest. :-)

    Happy Birthday to your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, maybe it's all the cheese that keeps the heat at bay. But yes, they are quite irresistible.

      Delete
  3. I miss the Clydesdales too - especially the one with the puppy who kept showing up to play with the horses. It's like an entire Hallmark movie in one 60 second commercial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of us feel that way, Mary Cate. I wish they'd bring them back.

      Delete
  4. No Superbowl for me! Not even the commercials. However fun fact the athletic trainer for the 49ers went to my high school. I can't remember, but him or his brother graduated with my brother, his cousin was in my class and one of his sister's was the class below me. Small Town boy makes it big! I do wish we had crashed a Superbowl party just for the snacks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, the Super Bowl is the one game that just has to have food with it. And we do love our gameday foods. Pretty cool about the athletic trainer. You just never know where people will end up.

      Delete
  5. MIndy, I missed your post this week! I look forward to trying this recipe! I've never made them before. Interesting that they bake so long! :)

    My fav commercial of the ones I saw was the Doritos commercial. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, I'm not sure I even remember a Doritos commercial. But then, I have slept since then.

      Delete