Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Flan

Recently, my husband and I had lunch at one of my favorite restaurants. One of the best things about this restaurant is that it serves one of my all-time favorite desserts. Creme Brulee.
It was rich and smooth, but not too sweet, just the way a traditional Crème Brulee should be.

Of course, when I got home, I wanted more, except I've never made Crème Brulee before. However, there is something I have made that's very similar and I love almost as much. Flan.
Growing up, custard was one of my favorite desserts. Then I moved to Texas and was introduced to flan. For me, it was a new and improved version of custard with a caramel coating. Then along came crème brulee. I don't remember when or where, just that it was love at first bite. And don't try to get all frou-frou on me by trying to "improve" upon traditional crème brulee by adding mango or whatever other flavors you might think. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Crème brulee is perfect as is. 'Nuf said.

Now back to that flan. It's creamy like a crème brulee, but with a  slightly different texture. It's not difficult to make, however you do need to plan ahead. 

Your ingredients are:
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (think Eagle Brand)
  • 1 3/4 cups milk
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Sprinkle the sugar in a large heavy skillet or saucepan. Add NOTHING else. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until sugar melts and turns light brown. So that you won't be intimidated or wondering if you're doing it right, here's a series of pics on this progression.
 
 
 
Be careful not to overcook it, though, or it will have a burned taste. 

Once all of the sugar, quickly pour hot caramel into a lightly oiled 9-inch round cakepan, tilting to coat bottom evenly, then set aside. (Caramel syrup will harden and may crack, but that's okay.)
In a large mixing bowl, lightly beat eggs, then add remaining three ingredients. Whisk until mixed. Pour custard mixture over syrup in cakepan.
Cover pan with foil and place in a large shallow pan. Add hot water to pan to depth of 1 inch. I added the water after setting the sheet on the baking rack in the oven.

Bake at 325 for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Don't worry if it still jiggles as though it's still liquidy. As long as the knife comes out clean, you're safe.

Remove pan from water bath, and uncover; cool completely on a wire rack.
After it has cooled, cover again and chill at least 8 hours.
Loosen edges of flan with a spatula.
And invert (quickly) onto a rimmed serving plate, allowing the melted caramel to drizzle over top. I set my plate over the pan, then flipped.
Now, if you think you're seeing some different pictures/kitchens here, you are. I forgot about the 8 hours of chilling, so the finished product was not ready when I was typing this post, so I had to reach back into the archives. That does not detract, however, from the fact that this flan is AMAZING! And I can't wait for this most recent one to come out of the pan so I can dig in.

Do you have a favorite dish/dessert that takes on different forms and you love them all?

Three time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus is passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. She lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, one sassy pup, countless cattle, deer and the occasional coyote, mountain lion or snake. When she's not writing, she enjoys spending time with her grandchildren, cooking and watching copious amounts of the Hallmark Channel. Learn more a mindyobenhaus.com.

9 comments:

  1. My daughter makes flan.... and it's amazing. I'm the only one up here who would eat it, and of course it's way too much for a short woman to eat an entire flan!!!! But like you, I grab creme brulee in a restaurant anytime I can because it's the best. I love the silkiness of the custard and the crunchiness of the broiled/flamed topping. That crystallization makes it so special... sigh.

    Now I want both!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but Ruthy, soon you will have your Abbott's custard, so think of it as frozen crème brulee. You can also understand why I came home wanting to make this flan. A craving denied is a craving...well, that simply drives us crazy. ;)

      Delete
  2. Ah, Mindy. Ted loved flan. As with many things though, he was partial to the one that came out of the box, so I never made it from scratch. I have no doubt he would devour yours! Thanks for the memory.

    Hope you had a good birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Cate, your husband had good taste. But I didn't even know flan could come out of a box. This is so easy, though. It's only the caramel that takes time. And the waiting for it to chill. Hmm...mine should be ready now. Do I dare or should I wait till lunchtime. Hmm... Major dilemma.

      Delete
    2. If I had been here when you posted this, I would have encouraged you!

      Delete
  3. Can you believe I've never had creme brule? You make it sound like I should give it a try. This recipe looks easy...except for the heating up the sugar thing. I tried that one and ended up scorching it. Ruined the pan and oooohhhhh the smell!!! Turned me off trying that again. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand completely, Kav. I may or may not have had that same problem before, too. There are two key things to remember. Don't get it too hot and keep stirring. Medium heat is a good place to be and once the sugar is dissolved and liquified, remove it from the heat. I agree that smell is hard to forget. Bleck.

      And yes, you should definitely try crème brulee. ;)

      Delete
  4. Mindy, this looks amazing!! I've never tried making it, but you make it look easy enough. I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete