Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Chocolate Salted Caramel Cupcakes and a Surprise Addition

Our church has a ministry to cancer patients and every year, right around Valentine's Day, we host a banquet for those patients who are well enough to attend, along with their caregivers. It's a night of encouragement, fun, and, of course, food. This year, the colors are black and gold, so I wanted to create a special dessert that showcased those colors. This is what I came up with. 

Chocolate Salted Caramel cupcakes. This was a test subject I made ahead of time, hence the polka dots. For the banquet, they'll have plain black wrappers. I'll tell you more about these in a minute.

So, you may or may not remember that we lost our sweet Golden Retriever Dixie back in October, leaving us with just our little Maddie. But Friday, this little guy wandered up to our house, hungry and thirsty. 
Met Marvel. He looks bigger here than he really is. He only weighs ten pounds and the vet tells us he's about two years old, so he's done growing. 
We have no idea where he came from. He had no collar, no microchip. Then again, out here in the country,  people rarely choose their pets. Instead, pets usually choose their owners. Uncaring people have dogs and cats they don't want, so they often take them for a ride and dump them somewhere, which is what we suspect was the case with this little guy. So, it looks like he's here to stay.
Maddie isn't all that thrilled, however, she is coming around. She just wants everyone to know that she's still top dog. 

Now back to the cupcakes. Since I knew I was going to use the salted caramel, I wanted a nice rich chocolate cake and this one was perfect. Lots of chocolate flavor.
Then I topped it with my usually buttercream icing, which is 4 cups sifted confectioners sugar, 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, 1 tsp vanilla and 1-2 tablespoons milk to thin as needed.

Now for the salted caramel. 
I found  this recipe at Sally's Baking Addiction and you can get it here. It's not difficult to make, though it does take time, more than the ten minutes stated in the recipe. But the result was a beautiful and delicious salted caramel which was then drizzled over the cupcakes.
Simple and delicious with a pretty presentation. Exactly what I wanted.

The banquet isn't huge, but it's an event meant to take the attendees minds off of cancer and treatments, have some fun and mingle with others. It also serves to inspire hope and share the good news of Jesus Christ. And those two things are something the world could use a lot more of.

Three time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus is passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. She lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, one sassy pup, countless cattle, deer and the occasional coyote, mountain lion or snake. When she's not writing, she enjoys spending time with her grandchildren, cooking and watching copious amounts of the Hallmark Channel. Learn more a mindyobenhaus.com.
 

14 comments:

  1. Wow, Mindy, two things that make me teary-eyed. Your pup! How adorable is he. My daughter, who lost her cat to cancer in December, is considering adopting a dog about that size once she finishes her degree in the spring.

    And the dinner! How special is that. I just love your servant's heart, Mindy.
    And the cupcakes are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Cate, the name of the ministry is call Servant's Heart. LOL! A name I may or may not have borrowed for an upcoming book. ;)

      I hope your daughter is able to find a little dog. They're fun and cuddly.

      Delete
  2. First, the cupcakes are gorgeous! One of our local ministries, Love, INC, has a dessert auction and dinner every year on the Monday before Thanksgiving, and these would be perfect for that event! Of course I'll have to practice a lot between now and then. :-)

    And Marvel! Such a cute pup! We had a dog that found us one time. Our son named her Jenny and she lived up to her name - sweet and patient with our children. But if someone didn't close the screen door tightly, she was off on a several hour ramble. We often wondered how far she wandered before she ended up at our house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, we've already discovered that this little guy can be prone to wander, but at the same time, he's also a house dog. Go figure. We're just glad there's a fence in the backyard. I hope he doesn't live up to his name, though. I seen Marvel movies and that's a little more adventure than I care to have in my life. ;)

      Delete
  3. Mmmm salted caramel cupcakes! You have my heart. Add some dark chocolate shavings and you have struck gold!

    Oh you were meant to have a new pup! He looks so sweet and a lap buddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, he's a good lap buddy when he stops wiggling. ;)

      Delete
  4. First, this ministry calls to my heart. What a wonderful thing! And to have chocolate and salted caramel, well, gosh.... now I'm happiest ever.

    Mindy, thank you for the kind things you do in your quiet way. God bless you... and pass the cupcakes, darling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WAIT! I forgot Marvel, and he's a true Avenger!!!! Mindy! I love that he wandered up to your door, SMART DOG!!!!! Oh my stars, I'm in love. Absolutely in love.

    I'm so glad he found you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...maybe we'll have to get him a little cape or something.

      Delete
  6. Mindy, this is such a wonderful event! And boy, your cupcake looks amazing. I wish I could taste! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also meant to say it's nice to meet Marvel!! He's so cute!

    ReplyDelete