Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Comfort Food - Italian (Green) Style?





My idea of comfort food is usually something that involves cheese.

Cheese and cookies  are really the only bad for me thing I eat most of the time.

I'm trying to eat less of both, but when the winter is long, and the days in school feel like months... such resolutions go out the window.

But I managed to put something green with my cheese.

This is one of my really fast, really easy recipes for when you want something delicious, but don't want to spend much time making it.


I put water on to boil the pasta.

While that was heating, I simmered a package of mixed greens and then blended in some ricotta cheese, a sprinkle of mozzarella, and some freeze-dried garlic. I heated that through while the angel hair pasta cooked.

Within 10-15 minutes, I had the entire meal.

The leftover greens and cheese made a delicious pizza on Italian bread for lunch the next day!

I started with this package of greens.

Which boiled down to THIS!

CHEESE!!!!


  

Pizza lunch hero.


As for the cookies, what can I say.  I was trying to be a supportive teacher.





6 comments:

  1. I meant to add this into the original post, but on Monday, I was thinking that this would be a good filling for the spaghetti pie crust that Jan posted about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I can agree to eat less cookies, but cheese! Oh my I talked about going on a Paleo diet a while back and my husband about hand a panic attack when he thought I was going to take away things like cheese. This does look good though! Maybe even toss it in some alfredo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet you could, Katie. It would spread better on the pasta. I just like the thickness of it this way because I can delude myself that I am eating all these vegetables.

      Delete
  3. I have yet to see anyone selling Girl Scout cookies. You are a supportive teacher, Mary Cate. Someone once told me they should change the nutrition label on the sides of Girl Scout cookie boxes so they read "Serving size: 1 Box." I had to agree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had any in years, but this year's class had 4 girls selling them. I bought a variety. :)

      Delete
  4. This is my type of meal, Mary Cate! I sautee the vegetable in a bit of olive oil, put it over noodles, then top with grated parm. So yummy! I could eat it every day. :)

    ReplyDelete