Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Christmas Candies

The Christmas season is now in full swing. You know what that means. Time for parties and church/family gatherings. And that means it's candy making time.
All those gatherings are the perfect opportunity to break out those favorite candy recipes you make only during the holidays. Because let's face it, if you make it just to have at home, you're going to be the one eating it all. Well, I would be anyway. I have little restraint this time of year. 

Peanut Clusters are one of the first things I make every year. (recipe here)
They're super easy to make AND they freeze well. That means you can make them now and then simply thaw what you need as you need them. They're perfect for parties and gift-giving.

Another annual treat that freezes well is Peanut Butter Balls. (recipe here)
Also known as Buckeyes, these are reminiscent of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. You can find the recipe here, however I have made one minor change. Actually, one that makes things so much easier. Instead of melting a bit of paraffin into chocolate chips (very old-school), I simply use the melting wafers or coating chocolate. Both are made to coat and harden into a nice chocolatey shell.

My mom's favorite Fantasy Fudge is next. (Recipe can be found here)

This recipe has adorned the back label of Kraft Marshmallow Cream for as long as I can remember. However there was a slight change somewhere along the way. The recipe has always called for a small can of evaporated milk. But for some reason, the makers of evaporated milk changed the amount in the can from 6 ounces to only 5 ounces. And because of that, my beloved fudge just wasn't the same. It wasn't until I stumbled across the original recipe my mom had cut off of the back of a jar many, many years ago that I discovered the problem. So, don't buy the small can of evaporated milk. Do yourself a favor and get the larger can and measure out a full 6 ounces.
Trust me on this one. That one little ounce of evaporated milk makes all the difference.

Another confectionary treat that's perfect for both young and old is Dipped Pretzel Rods, (Tutorial here)

Their sweet/salty mix makes them a delicious treat. And you can add sprinkles or drizzle them with those colored candy wafers you find by the cake decorating supplies to make them extra festive.

My final favorite chocolatey Christmas treats are Pretzel Turtles. (Recipe here)

Like the Dipped Pretzels, these Pretzel Turtles require no baking skills. All you need to do is assemble. But your patience will be rewarded with a very tasty treat that will wow your friends and family. 

That's my lineup of holiday candies. What are some of your favorite Christmas candies to share?

Three time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she's not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more a mindyobenhaus.com.

11 comments:

  1. I love making candies!!! We should be neighbors. Why do you live in Texas????? Silly girl.

    We could make cookies and candies and take babies for long walks to work off the cookies and candies. :)

    And I love your presentation of food. I am not good at that, but yours looks caterer-friendly. Go you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, the bigger question is, why don't you live in Texas? You'd fit it perfectly. Just instead of settling in during the winter to write, you'd do it in the summer. But yes, we would have so much fun. And with all the food we'd be making, we'd definitely require lots of walking. And thank you. I'm trying to work on presentation. It doesn't always work out, but I can at least make the effort.

      Delete
  2. I've always thought making candies was much too hard and needed a candy thermometer or that scary test thing I learned in school but can't remember -- something had to bead in order for it to be ready and if you waited too long it was too late and...well, a few scorched pots later I gave up trying to make candies. lol

    Oh, expect truffles -- easy peasy recipe using sweetened condensed milk which could easily be fudge too. That's my only claim to candy making fame.

    I made the mistake of checking out some Christmas cookie magazines from the library and now all I'm thinking about is becoming a cookie factory. But then what will I do with all the cookies?! But there are some cute triangle Santas that I just have to try and make. Ha -- I should post pictures on FB of my puny attempt compared to the magazine cover once I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, you would share those cookies with others. Prepare small packages or bags you can just hand to people along with a cheery "Merry Christmas." The postman, ladies at the library, people at church, neighbors, whoever you come in contact with. Spread that Christmas cheer. But save a few for yourself. Now that I've said that, I expect to see pictures on FB. ;)

      Delete
    2. Now there'an idea. Though, one year I tried to give some cookies to my very earnest postman but he politely declined because he couldn't accept bribes. Snort! I shouldn't really laugh though because he does bring me all my books.

      Delete
  3. Mindy, thank you for posting all these links in one place! I made your dipped pretzels last year. I may try something different this year. Maybe the pretzel turtles. But is that too time consuming for a large number of gifts? I'll be making for 20+.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not super time consuming, Missy, but how many would you plan to give each person. If it's part of a combination of things, then it wouldn't be too bad. But if you're thinking about a box of them for each, well then you'd have to make quite a few. It just takes time to spoon out the melted chocolate. That said, I'm usually doing it by myself. If you had someone to tag-team it with, it wouldn't be too bad.

      Delete
    2. Mindy, I was think of giving each of them a bag/box of these. Last year, my daughter helped me with the dipped pretzels. It took us forever. I'll check in with her about helping this year. :) But doing the nut clusters (actually, I make big sheets of the chocolate and then break it up to be faster) might be the best thing to do again.

      Delete
    3. Okay, I just went to the recipe and read it. I would imagine I would need to make about 200-250 of these, so it could take a while. But I had a thought. Rather than do all those blobs of chocolate, what if we just drizzled chocolate over the nut? I wonder if that would be enough chocolate?

      Hmmm, I'll keep thinking. :)

      Delete
  4. Gosh, Mindy. You have me craving one of your treats now. I've made the turtle pretzels and the coated pretzels before. Funny, I just picked up a bag of pretzels the other day and it had that recipe on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, when something is that good, Mary Cate, you just can't help but share. ;)

      Delete