Thursday, December 19, 2019

White Chocolate Almond Baklava Fudge

This is a recipe I tweaked from a basic white chocolate fudge recipe when I was writing "Small-Town Hearts", my fifth Love Inspired book... and now I'm working on Love Inspired book #30... so that's pretty cool, right?

 Okay, this isn't really Baklava fudge... it's a creamy white chocolate fudge done with almonds and Baklava mix stirred in... Baklava nut mix is simple and I keep it in the freezer so I can use it to spice up or crunch up lots of things, including old fashioned Baklava! 
I published this one years ago, but it's worthy to be brought up again. Tasty blend of crunch and smooth, creamy white chocolate.
So far I have Christmas Crinkles made and packaged in the freezer, (I'm using Christmas Crinkles as a popular thing in an upcoming series... because the name is so perfect!)
I've also got cut-out cookies, chocolate fudge and chocolate walnut fudge and way more candy than any four big families would need. Sugarholic!!!!
 I figure if I've got stuff set aside, there's always something to pull out when folks stop by and that's the fun of having people stop in. A box of cookies or fudge or a carrot cake are wonderful things to have on hand. 
Nut mix:
Mix in a bowl:
1 cup chopped almonds
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Stir together, store in plastic freezer bag or firmly closed container in freezer.
White Chocolate Almond Baklava Fudge
 Ingredients
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 4 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 3 teaspoons almond extract
  • 16 ounces white chocolate, chopped
  • 1 cup chopped roasted almonds
  • ½ cup Baklava mix (chopped almonds, walnuts, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg)
Directions
1.     Grease an 8x8 inch baking dish, line with double wax paper, top side buttered. Set aside.
2.     In a medium bowl, beat soft cream cheese, sugar, and almond until smooth.
3.     In the top of a double boiler over lightly simmering water, heat white chocolate, stirring until melted and smooth.
4.     Fold melted white chocolate, almonds and baklava mix into cream cheese mixture. Spread into prepared baking dish. Chill for 1 hour, then cut into 1 inch squares.

Seriously, how much easier can you get than this? And the blend of nuttiness to almond "white chocolate" is wonderful.

And of course I love anything to do with Baklava, in any way, shape or form!
 
We've got a couple of busy weeks coming up. I'm working on a book, but Farmer Dave isn't exactly the "lets clean the house and throw a party" type. We're happy if we can get him to chat with folks at the party, so you can see where I'm going... but he really enjoys them once they're all here and folks are talking kids and farm and economics and football, baseball and/or track and field. 
 
But the cleaning, cooking and baking isn't his domain, so I've got my work cut out for me. My family is here this weekend, and then our kids and their families are the next weekend, then Farmer Dave's family on Christmas Eve, then the local ones will hang out some with us on Christmas Day. I get to see my youngest, in town from Dallas and that's enough of a gift right there!
 
I love gathering with loved ones on Christmas, even though we're of an age where there is the occasional empty chair. My parents passed away a long time ago, and I lost a brother two years ago, but I know when I see him again he'll be younger. More toned. :) And not carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders. He's at peace with saints and martyrs and the sweet Lord, but it's still tricky to see that empty chair or take a picture with someone missing.
 
So we carry those folks in our hearts, don't we? As it should be.
 
Wishing you a wonderful holiday season. Christmas is too special to try and cram into a day, so we use as many as it takes to have a fun reunion with friends and family because we're so blessed to be here, in America, land of the free... and home of the brave.
 
Multi-published inspirational author Ruth Logan Herne loves playing in the kitchen, hanging with friends over here on Yankee Belle or in Seekerville, and realizes that the majority of her friends are virtual but she refuses to contemplate that too much because better to have pretend friends than no friends at all! :) Visit her on facebook, follow her on Twitter (a vile place, but I've found a few nice people over there. Only a few. Trust me. I know.)

No comments:

Post a Comment